• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question about action and barrel support...

G and R

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Central, OH
Guys I just had a 6.547L built. I used a Surgeon RSR (short round) action, and a Bartlein straight 1.250, no taper barrel finished at 29." Now, my question is...Will my Surgeon action support the weight of the barrel if I decide to free float the barrel completely? I am worried about the rear tang screw stripping, that barrel is a stinkin' monster! Would you guys maybe bed the first 2-4" of the barrel? Possibly make a pressure pad near the end of the forearm? Roscoe and Mark if you guys have opinions on this, I Would love to hear them.

Re: Question about action and barrel support...

Calculate the forces and look up the tensile strength of the rear screw.

I am not going to do it for you, as my seat of the pants say that the safety margin is so big, it might break my calculator.

1.jpg

I have built a number of 20 pound rifles.
Worry about your arm carrying the thing, not the rear screw.

Thanks Clark! I am not at all worried about my arm, its going to be a bench and F Class rig.

Look around people are running 1.25 straits on remingtons. Im in process of a 6 dasher 1.25 Brux build right now on a remmy. Thought about a barrel block but decided to go without. Seems like alot but its only three pounds heavier than a HV. You could always glue and screw. Good luck. Aaron

I have a Rem 700 223 with a 1.250 straight pipe 22" and i bedded the entire action, lug and 4" fore. You might want to use a barrel block with a 29" monster barrel like yours.