• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about Armageddon gear

Bridgebuilder34

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2021
CA
What's the difference between the bead fill? Standard, heavy, and spexlite. I'm looking at the schmedium game changer.
I tried contacting Armageddon gear and nothing. Please advise

Primarily it determines the bag's weight and how well it forms to the gun and the surface the bag is on. Most of the folks I shoot with use the waxed smedium with heavy sand fill. Heavier to carry around but it seems to offer the best stability on typicaal PRS and NRL stages. I have a full size GC with the lighter fill and it tends to slip off uneven surfaces.

Also, you can (and maybe should) remove some of the fill from the bag to get it more moldable. Mine was too stiff as it came from the factory.

Reactions: MO Fugga
The most commonly used sand-type-fill is called 'heavy sand'. Its often a specific type of mineral, eg 'zircon', it's not sandbox sand or beach sand. See, eg. for more information. https://www.6mmbr.com/sandcomparison.html

The other types of fill are only used when necessary. Beads is typically plastic bean-bag style fille. This is a good choice if you are shooting in the rain. Alot of original (large) GCs with beads were used at one time. The other fills are 'light' fills, and specifically are less heavy than beads, with the tradeoff of being less stable (with less on target accuracy).

The beads also are less absorbent of rain-water than sand. For larger OG version shooting bags, the beads can make sense. Its typically used with a cordura cover. This steup is considered to have decent portability, all-weather robustness, and long-term durability, this makes more sense to carry for field use than a zircon-filled waxed canvas model.

The waxed canvas is thin and easily torn, and the heavy weight of the zircon sand puts stress on the stitching over time. Its considered a consumable item after a couple years (ie the OEM wont fix abrasion/wear type damage more than once IIRC.)

For competition/PRS use, the schmedium with zircon type "heavy sand" fill is the best performer by consensus. If you are .mil or a hunter, and using a shooting bag in the field, etc...then a cordura+ beads or lite fill is typically considered more appropriate.

Reactions: 96C