• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about Atlas Bipod Models

Milf Dots

Milf Hunter Extraordinaire
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2019
If someone specifically recommends "Atlas CAL bipod with PSR legs", are they referring to the three CAL models that have 7075 Alum legs (model BT69 series) instead of 6061 (BT65 series)?

In the linked chart below I saw that PSR models all have 7075 Alum legs. I'm asking because the three CAL models with the 7075 legs are slightly taller- about 6.3 - 12 inches, compared to their shorter models with 6061 Alum legs at about 5.2 - 9.5 inches. TYIA

I only own one Atlas bipod its the PSR with pic rail throw lever.
I think the question or confusion you are running into stems from the only gripe i have noticed with the Atlas bipods from others which is the rotating vs non rotating legs.
The models that do not have non rotating legs will obviously have a tendency to roll forward while attempting to load the bipod setting up for the shot.

Reactions: Milf Dots
I only own one Atlas bipod its the PSR with pic rail throw lever.
I think the question or confusion you are running into stems from the only gripe i have noticed with the Atlas bipods from others which is the rotating vs non rotating legs.
The models that do not have non rotating legs will obviously have a tendency to roll forward while attempting to load the bipod setting up for the shot.
The difference in heights that I mentioned seems small- any issues with the taller of the two?

The difference in heights that I mentioned seems small- any issues with the taller of the two?
It really depends on how you intend to be shooting, prone, from a bench, uphill, downhill and so on.
Any of those you can simulate just by taking simple measurements and setting up a shooting position based off those measurements.
What you will come up with is pretty much no one bipod will be ideal in all scenarios but you can elimnate some based on what you actually need.
I have several different bipods ranging in hieght and features but the Atlas PSR is my favorite for general bench and prone shooting and gets swapped around to other rifles more than the rest.

Some other differences.
You get as slightly wider stance with the CAL and a higher leg apex which equates to lower bore axis (increasing stability) and more cant adjustment. The downside being the size depending on where you use the bipod.

There's a small amount of fore/aft pivot in the PSR that you can feel when loading the bipod that isn't present on the CAL. Might be useful to you for bipod loading consistency, might not.

Atlas V8s have rotating legs, the rest don't.

Yep, and I hated the panning and did a trade in with BT on a CAL and I'm quite happy with it.
Just out of curiosity what did you hate about the panning?
I have heard a few people say that it didnt lock up very well when tightened but havent noticed that at all witn mine.
Have even seen some fancy machined billet attachments for gaining a better grip but can lock mine up pretty solid with just index finger and thumb.

The hieght also depends on your size and if you want to get your body up off the ground a little which I recommend. The cal tall is the way to go imo.

I have heard a few people say that it didnt lock up very well when tightened
Mine was just sloppy feeling, tbh...and I had (still have??) one of those after market wrenches to tighten it with and still was never quite happy with it.

If yours locks up well when wanted, then all is good and just go with it, right?

I don't need panning and I've been pretty happy with the CAL.

Cheers

Reactions: XLR308
Mine was just sloppy feeling, tbh...and I had (still have??) one of those after market wrenches to tighten it with and still was never quite happy with it.

If yours locks up well when wanted, then all is good and just go with it, right?

I don't need panning and I've been pretty happy with the CAL.

Cheers
That's kind of what i figured that is was a tolerance issue with some being a bit looser but with my sample size of one no way to legitimize any such claim.
That or im just stronger than the average user 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Baron23
If someone specifically recommends "Atlas CAL bipod with PSR legs", are they referring to the three CAL models that have 7075 Alum legs (model BT69 series) instead of 6061 (BT65 series)?

That was Frank that said that, but I had no idea what he meant by it at the time. Maybe PM him and ask. I have a PSR and a couple of Gen 2 CALs. I don't know what the difference in the legs is, because I haven't really noticed any. 7075 vs. 6061 T6 is a non-issue, unless it's a Certified aircraft part and the material is specified.

I prefer the BT65-LW17 CAL overall. I rarely ever use them above the first or second notch shooting bench and prone, so having even longer legs would be pointless for me. As it is I'm already always struggling to get enough height out of the rear bag.

That was Frank that said that, but I had no idea what he meant by it at the time. Maybe PM him and ask. I have a PSR and a couple of Gen 2 CALs. I don't know what the difference in the legs is, because I haven't really noticed any. 7075 vs. 6061 T6 is a non-issue, unless it's a Certified aircraft part and the material is specified.

I prefer the BT65-LW17 CAL overall. I rarely ever use them above the first or second notch shooting bench and prone, so having even longer legs would be pointless for me. As it is I'm already always struggling to get enough height out of the rear bag.

Yes, Frank told me that, but I hate to ask him yet another question because he's a busy dude!

I've narrowed it down to the Atlas BT65-LW17 G2 and the taller BT69-LW17 G2.

when i had a PSR I had the tall. but pan sucks

now i have a Super CAL and use it for everything

i never want a lower bipod. i can 45 degree if needed. i'm quite often at least 1 click up even with the SCAL and know i have a lot of room for more height which i do use a decent amount

i never want a lower bipod. i can 45 degree if needed. i'm quite often at least 1 click up even with the SCAL and know i have a lot of room for more height which i do use a decent amount
Just to be clear, you have the taller BT69 CAL and not the shorter BT65?

Keep in mind the scal is wide. Won't fit mounted to the the gun in a standard pelican case. I was originally on the list to get a scal when @Kasey said he was going to introduce something new a few years ago. Decided to get the standard height special edition no dye cal he had going on at the same time instead.
20200122_114458.jpg

Damn i guess im on a small list of those who really likes the PSR and pan feature but mine locks up tighter than frogs ass with minimal effort.
Been wanting to try out the BT72 as well.

I have a PSR and a couple of Gen 2 CALs. I don't know what the difference in the legs is, because I haven't really noticed any.
Threre isnt any difference in cal and psr. Same legs. Cal is basically a PSR with no pan.

The v8 has legs that can spin around in a circle when you push forward on it unlike the psr/cal that are held rigidly by the spring detent location.

Threre isnt any difference in cal and psr. Same legs. Cal is basically a PSR with no pan.

The v8 has legs that can spin around in a circle when you push forward on it unlike the psr/cal that are held rigidly by the spring detent location.

The OP's question stems from a statement that Frank made, stating "you want to get a CAL with PSR legs", implying there's a difference. But, I have no idea what Frank could be talking about. I do remember reading it when he posted and wondering what he meant, because I see no difference in my PSR and CAL legs. They ARE different alloys (7075 on PSR vs 6061-T6 on the shorter-version CAL according to Atlas), but you sure wouldn't ever be able to tell the difference. I kind of think he might have meant "non-rotating legs, like the ones on the PSR," but just phrased it so it sounded like there was a difference.

Last edited:
The OP's question stems from a statement that Frank made, stating "you want to get a CAL with PSR legs", implying there's a difference. But, I have no idea what Frank could be talking about. I do remember reading it when he posted and wondering what he meant, because I see no difference in my PSR and CAL legs. They ARE different alloys (7075 on PSR vs 6061-T6 on the shorter-version CAL according to Atlas), but you sure wouldn't ever be able to tell the difference.
I get that but his statement basically boils down to "get a cal with its nonrotating legs". Any implication was unintentional Im sure. The long leg models come with the harder aluminum legs. The v8 leg models suck because the bipod just rolls which is what Frank was steering away from.

Reactions: Midwestside
I get that but his statement basically boils down to "get a cal with its nonrotating legs". Any implication was unintentional Im sure. The long leg models come with the harder aluminum legs. The v8 leg models suck because the bipod just rolls which is what Frank was steering away from.
I actually was editing my previous post, while you were posting this, to say the same thing you just did - I think he just meant non-rotating.

Reactions: spife7980
The legs of the PSR vs the CAL was my first question, but all differences between the PSR and CAL were of interest to me. I've decided on the CAL BT65-LW17.

Reactions: Baron23
The legs of the PSR vs the CAL was my first question, but all differences between the PSR and CAL were of interest to me. I've decided on the CAL BT65-LW17.
Excellent choice. It’s my favorite b/t the PSR, Super CAL, and the CAL you chose. The QD clamp option does add a little bit of height over the straight rail clamp version, but it’s still manageable for bench and prone.

Got a question for all you knowledgeable people in here, are the LW17 picatinny mounts adjustable?
I may have bought and epoxied on some cheap chinese shit pic rail that is way out of spec on my rifle, and need an adjustable clamp to make it work.
The rail is a bit too wide and tall compared to my MDT rail on my other rifle, so I have to go about one full turn on the adjustment when moving my Accutac bipod between the rifles.
Probably won't be able to remove the rail and get a good one without utterly fucking up my stock, so in worst case scenario, I'll just have to file it down until it matches with my other rail.
Well anyhow, would an Atlas bipod with the LW17 mount work without modifications?

Got a question for all you knowledgeable people in here, are the LW17 picatinny mounts adjustable?
I may have bought and epoxied on some cheap chinese shit pic rail that is way out of spec on my rifle, and need an adjustable clamp to make it work.
The rail is a bit too wide and tall compared to my MDT rail on my other rifle, so I have to go about one full turn on the adjustment when moving my Accutac bipod between the rifles.
Probably won't be able to remove the rail and get a good one without utterly fucking up my stock, so in worst case scenario, I'll just have to file it down until it matches with my other rail.
Well anyhow, would an Atlas bipod with the LW17 mount work without modifications?
installing-and-adjusting-the-adm-lever

As shown in the link above, for width the answer is yes.

Not sure you can do anything about the rail being too tall, though (if it is) without resorting to a careful filing.

Will not work, I had the same issue with a 3 slot mlok to picatinny adapter from Amazon. Just file the picatinny a bit (only the back side (ie lug facing the muzzle) to enable tighter recoil contact where it matters