• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about AW and AICS Magazine Compatibility

Milf Dots

Milf Hunter Extraordinaire
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2019
Question: Are AICS and AW mags interchangeable if the action is set up for both- like a Terminus Zeus is, or does the chassis also have to specify both mags types?

I see many chassis are listed as setup for AICS mags, but most don't say anything about AW mags. If the answer is no the AW mags won't work unless the chassis also specs both, is it common for chassis to be modded to work with AW mags? As a newb I don't know what I don't know.

Here's the application scenario: If I choose an action that is "configured for both AI & AW mags", say, a Terminus Zeus action, and I choose a chassis that just states "set up for AICS Mags", will the AW mags work?

Thanks

Here's the application scenario: If I choose an action that is "configured for both AI & AW mags", say, a Terminus Zeus action, and I choose a chassis that just states "set up for AICS Mags", will the AW mags work?

Thanks
It could work if the chassis has an height adjustable mag latch. The mag well is basically dimensionally the same between AICS and AW. All you would need to do is adjust the mag latch every time you're switching between the two different types of mags.

If it doesn't have an adjustable latch, you need to either replace it with the appropriate height latch or if there is no appropriate height latch you'd have to do some modification (material addition or material removal)

Last edited:
Reactions: lash and Milf Dots
It could work if the chassis has an height adjustable mag latch. The mag well is basically dimensionally the same between AICS and AW. All you would need to do is adjust the mag latch every time you're switching between the two different types of mags.

If it doesn't have an adjustable latch, you need to either replace it with the appropriate height latch. If there is no appropriate height latch you'd have to do some modification (material addition or material removal)
Thanks. I haven't ordered the action, nor have I chosen a chassis, but ideally I'd like to run AW mags for their shorter height.

Thanks. I haven't ordered the action, nor have I chosen a chassis, but ideally I'd like to run AW mags for their shorter height.

I have an AW cut TL3 sitting in an ACC Chassis. With that combo AW and AICS mags are completely interchangeable for me, both with standard SA cartridges (6 & 6.5 Creedmoor) and with BR/Dasher mags (MDT AICS BD mags and AWs with HRD kits in them). The HRD inserts did require a small amount of trimming with a pocket knife for those mags to lock in, but they've been solid since.

Reactions: lash
I'm also curious about actions that feed from aw mags. Lowlight just said on the live feed that actions with 3 lug design use the 3rd lug to better feed from aw mags. I thought maybe I should be looking at the tl3 vs the origin for the ability to use aw mags, but when I looked it up, it's only a 2 lug design. But it is controlled round feed vs push feed, does that make the difference?

I'm also curious about actions that feed from aw mags. Lowlight just said on the live feed that actions with 3 lug design use the 3rd lug to better feed from aw mags. I thought maybe I should be looking at the tl3 vs the origin for the ability to use aw mags, but when I looked it up, it's only a 2 lug design. But it is controlled round feed vs push feed, does that make the difference?
You might try looking at the new CDG action by ARC too. It’s currently the best three lug action out there and at a price that slaughters the competition. Made for use with AW mags but will also feed from AICS with a mag latch adjustment/change.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I am curious if anyone uses AW mags in a MDT XRS chassis. I don't see anything about mag latch adjustment or selling addition mag latches on the MDT website.