• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about BCG

bbush

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
I am in the process of trying to finish putting together a presission LR308 type rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have all of the standard accuracy stuff as a precision trigger, Bartlein barrel, etc. My question is should I use the Toolcraft double ejector bolt that I already have or should I go with a more precision oriented one? In other words, will I gain anything with a JP or Rubber City Armory bcg for instance? How much effect does the bcg have on the overall accuracy of a rifle? Thanks for all comments back.

I am in the process of trying to finish putting together a presission LR308 type rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have all of the standard accuracy stuff as a precision trigger, Bartlein barrel, etc. My question is should I use the Toolcraft double ejector bolt that I already have or should I go with a more precision oriented one? In other words, will I gain anything with a JP or Rubber City Armory bcg for instance? How much effect does the bcg have on the overall accuracy of a rifle? Thanks for all comments back.
The BCG is more about reliability in my opinion. I don’t think accuracy is something you lose or gain by the BCG. Try the one you have. If it works keep using it. If not, I’ve had very good success using the JP BCGs and SCS’s.

Probably very little effect on accuracy but the BCG can effect the efficiency of the gas system. Sloppy bolt and carrier fit is inefficient and requires more gas.

If you decide to change the bolt... just make sure your replacement can use your existing FP.

"Toolcraft AR10 308 Double Ejector BCG"
"Also featured with this 308 Dual Ejector BCG is a 0.065″ reduced diameter firing pin, and firing pin channel.

As far as accuracy, to a certain extend , yes it can matter, probably more in the mathmatical world, .... but,most of us would probably never notice in the real world.

I would suspect, a perfectly fit bolt could show improvements at longer ranges... but a gust of wind could skew those results.

What receivers and barrel extension are you using and have you measured them to ensure a press-fit mating with the barrel extension?

Whatever BCG you use, it needs to have an efficient gas seal with the bolt, and the carrier rails on the bottom need to not slam into the RET boss threads of the lower when in full rearward travel.

The carrier key needs to not clip or bind against the gas tube.

This is just for starters. If there was a sprung firing pin option for builders, that would be the way to go, especially for 6.5CM. I am not aware of one at this time.

The carrier I would start with, now that it’s available, is the Bootleg Adjustable Gas carrier for LR-308. I wish that had been available when I sent my parts off to GAP 12-14 years ago. I’m not a fan of adjustable gas blocks due to carbon-welding of the tiny set screws.