• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report Question about Black Hills "Seal loads"

cowbuyu

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2009
S.W. Michigan, USA
I've run into a problem with a case and a half of Black Hills 300WM 190grn match ammo I bought a while back, and wondered if anyone else has run into it. I've been on the phone with Black Hills and they are anxious to get it back and replace it.
It's from 3 different lots, 2 of which have a warning lable on the box about being long loaded, the 3rd lot is not long loaded and has no warning lable but is apparently hotter than blue blazes. I tried just a very few rounds in my AIAW rifle and the primers were flattened, the base showed signs of flowing around the extractor and I had to hammer the bolt with my fist to extract the empty case! No problems with Hornady or Winchester ammo before or after shooting the Black Hills stuff. I was going to set up my chrono after I got the new scope zeroed, but ended up not shooting enough of it to even get a zero. I tried a search about this but either there is nothing out there or my Google Fu is suffering.

Re: Question about Black Hills "Seal loads"

that mk248 300wm ammo is good stuff but alot of civilian guns DO NOT LIKE IT, diferences in chamber i don't know. I have seen some guys have chambering issues with it as well. if black hills is asking for it back that works in your favor as hopefully they give you some newer stuff. you have to figure when the military asks for 200k rounds at a time the spread of quality is probably pretty big.

Re: Question about Black Hills "Seal loads"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is your question? </div></div>

My question was "Has anyone else run into this problem" ie: excessive pressure with the Black Hills 300WM, whether it was the long loaded "Seal" ammo spec'd per the Navy or the "standard" WM ammo. I wouldn't consider the Accuracy International AW a "civilian" rifle, at least not like a custom action with a tight chamber, or a Remington 700. I was just surprised that my rifle's bolt was locked up after each shot...I mean it's not exactly tactical to have to put the gun butt down on the ground and beat on the bolt with your fist to eject your empty after each shot. If you tried to fire this shit in a semi, you'd be pounding it out of the chamber with a rod down the barrel.

I didn't fire any of the long loads in my AW(there are actually warning lables on the boxes of the long round boxes cautioning you about having the chamber length checked before firing), and I fired just a couple of the standard length rounds(no warning lables), and I did check to see if the bullets were seating into the rifling when they were chambered and they were not. Just curious because I have a lot of other Black Hills in other calibers that I consider my "failsafe" factory ammo, and never ever a problem.

Black Hills is being great,(they called me back 3 times with all kinds of questions and seem very concerned about it), sending call tags for shipping it back to them so they can look it over and send me some new stuff to replace it. Good to find out about it now, and not if and when I really needed it....but I'm still curious to hear if anyone else has run into a problem with ultra hot Black Hills ammo, in this caliber or any other.