• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about bushing dies

RobG

Douchebag Hauler
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2007
W. Sac, Kalifornia
I need a new set of dies for an upcoming .284 Win build. I'd prefer not neck turning and will be using Win brass. Should I go with neck bushing dies, specifically Redding S dies? I have never used them, only standard FL RCBS or Redding dies.

Thanks

Re: Question about bushing dies

I think it mainly depends on your chamber.

If you get a .318" (ish) chamber neck, a traditional FLS isn't going to overwork your casenecks. Not much to be gained by using bushings.

I prefer to final-size my necks on the INSIDE with a Sinclair expander, for better concentricity.

If you get a tight "match" grade chamber, FLSing each firing won't work the brass much either.

If you intend to necksize only, I'd recommend the Forster bushing/bump die, with a bushing small enough to cause the Sinclair expander to expand the case .002" or so.

They don't make a 284 bushing/bump die, but the 6.5-284 one works fine.

Redding is nice, but I just can't justify the $$$$$, especially for the type S stuff. Should be called "Type $".

I've had great luck with Forster. Much less expensive, excellent, and the only maker of a die that shoulder bumps and necksizes in one shot.

Re: Question about bushing dies

Thanks turbo. I will probably stick with standard FL dies like I have always done. Just thought I'd research my options. I do use a Forster seater already with good results.

I have been following your SA 284 project to get some ideas. I already have a LA so thats what I will use. I will probably go the Amax, possibly the 175 or 180 smk, with R17. I will have tons of room in a LA mag which leaves me more options. Out to 1K there are all relatively close at their respective velocities.