• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about Case neck and Concentricity Gauges

Jrb572

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I have just watched the redding advanced hand loading video. They had a Redding case neck gauge and it looked like a Sinclair concentricity gauge. MY question are booth necessary? I could be wrong because i don't know but it looks like the concentricity gauge will do the same thing the case neck gauge will do? I have been loading for about a year now. I bought this dvd to see what i could do to get a little more out of my rounds. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Joe

Re: Question about Case neck and Concentricity Gauges

I don't know anything about the Redding tool you are talking about,but I have the Sinclair concentricity guage,and wouldn't be without it.I use it to keep an eye on case neck and bullet runout.I think they are a must for a precision shooter.

Haven't looked at one, but the Redding probably measures neck thickness. Not necessary unless you're turning necks or using that as sorting criteria.

Re: Question about Case neck and Concentricity Ga

Measures neck thickness. Sinclair has tools for that as well as runout.

" MY question are booth necessary?"

Neither is "necessary". Both are nice when you are seeking best acccuracy.

Measuring powder charges within .0001 grain, case trimming and/or seating within .0000001" of a specific length won't do much, but using properly selected brass and confirming concentricity of the loaded rounds will.

Neither are necessary, sounds like you are new to reloading and there is allot of better places to spend your time, money and concerns. I would be willing to bet that you are not loading for a custom tight neck bench rest chambered rifle. There is allotting to learn with out getting involved in these details, read threads in the reloading area. You might not believe me but if you use a Lee neck die properly your run out will be right on .001. no lube. Use good practices to avoid creating run out, not under sizing the neck, expander buttons are a source of problems unless polished.

I have been doing this for 45 years and have all the toys and gages. Suggestion look up OCW Optimum charge weight Dan Newberry about developing a load.

I am getting my rifle back probably this week from GA precision. I have been reloading for a year about a year but nothing i was to worried about getting the most out of. I am wanting the best possible I can work up for it. I still have much to learn about reloading. Thats why i like posting here to find out what I really dont know and see what others think. Thanks ill be checking out some more on here again.

Great rifle there are all kinds of methods to try to achieve the best accuracy. So here is what I do for tactical and f class. Lapua brass, sorted, after all the usual new case prep and one firing. Since these cases will only be fired in one rifle neck size and bump. Lee neck die,( see how to use attach a washer the shell holder to 3/4 size and polish internals) why? no lube, neck sized around mandrel no need to track neck thickness, 3/4 size to avoid the terrible internal donut and align with bore. Bump the shoulder back .0005-.001 in a Forster bump die with no bushing. Then all the usual trim, chamfer the neck, debur, prime etc. Really please look at OCW method www.optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com
    of developing a load and view the forum site allot of people post their test www.practicalrifler.6.forumer.com So using the method I ran through my AIAW can and does shoot 1/2 at 300 yds when I do my part. My friend posted his First OCW Test -- .308, 155 Scenar, Varget, F210M, L Brass Friday march 6 he ran the test 300 it should be run at 100. He then went on to run the seating test which was even better. NOTE this load is in an AI factory chamber. Your tight chamber with Lapua brass Varget might be around 46 but Varget varies from lot to lot work up slowly please. Spend more time shooting less reloading; a person can drive themselves nuts with stuff that matters little.

Thanks I appreciate the info.

The big reason Im loading for this rifle is because around here there is no Black Hills available anywhere here I can find. Sucks .Hopefully get it back the week. My luck its all gone. Should have stocked up when i could find it. So off the the reloading bench.

I have a concentricity/wall thickness gauge similar to the NECO one on page 31 of sinclairs catalog. Bought it for 20 dollars from a guy at the range-- no directions for it though and no name on it. Has a mituoyo guage though but it is the same style as the NECO - GEM dial indicator.

Anyone have directions how to use it PM me please.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SP308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has a Mituoyo guage though, but it is the same style as the NECO - GEM dial indicator.

Anyone have directions how to use it PM me please. </div></div>
    You have a seriously better instrument than the GEM. Contact NECO for directions.