• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about CCI Ammo

alamo5000

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2020
I bought two different types of CCI ammo.

The first was CCI Subsonic

The second was CCI Standard Velocity

My question is, what is the difference? The only things I can see that are actually different are the box says 1050 on one and 1070 on the other. The only other thing obviously different is one is a hollow point and the other isn't. Other than that, does anyone have any insight?

they will probably shoot okayish

only one way to find out which/if your gun likes them

they will probably shoot okayish

I've been shooting the "Subsonics" and today I shot the first 100 of the Standard Velocity. Both were able to connect with a 302 yard plate without problems. Maybe the Standard Velocity is a bit more consistent? Not sure because I'm only 100 rounds in, but it seems that way.

Reactions: STex and b6graham
2% difference in labeled muzzle velocity.
The actual velocities will overlap substantially.
Other than the boxes and labels, basically the same cartridges.
The hollow point might generate a bit more expansion on impact.

Last edited:
Reactions: STex
Just HP vs LRN. Neither of them are match grade ammo, but they do well on a budget. I would suggest getting the SV in 500 round bricks, it's a little less money, just different packaging.

I remember some testing on rimfirecentral or maybe accurateshooter that essentially concluded that the SD's of the subsonic were not as good as the std velocity. Std Velocity is the best rimfire ammo you can buy short or Eley or SK match etc. - i.e. the stuff that costs 5X as much, and the group differences were essentially 0.1" @ 100yds.

I did my own ammo testing afterwards, as I saw the ammo shortage coming and wanted to buy the right stuff in bulk - still have some targets I think... but confirmed that 50 yds was a wash, and 100 yds was small diff.

I've been getting CCI sv for 3.99$ a box, been on sale for a long time at one store. Walmart regular price is 4.94$. I think it's decent enough for a lot of applications, just look around before you pay 12.99$ again!:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

I bought a bunch of different types of Ely and SK from Midway a while back to try out, a box or two of each. I didn't get Tenex, but I didn't pay more than 9.99$ a box for any of it! Some was 8.99$

I've been getting CCI sv for 3.99$ a box, been on sale for a long time at one store. Walmart regular price is 4.94$. I think it's decent enough for a lot of applications, just look around before you pay 12.99$ again!:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

I bought a bunch of different types of Ely and SK from Midway a while back to try out, a box or two of each. I didn't get Tenex, but I didn't pay more than 9.99$ a box for any of it! Some was 8.99$
To be fair, the $12.99 price is for 100 round sliders, not 50 round boxes...still too much money when the price is divided in half though.

Reactions: sjmpcc022
I paid from 1.5-3 cents per round when I bought with CCI rebates - maybe 3-5 yrs ago max. Bought 50K SV :ROFLMAO: and another 25K of Blazer for semi-auto. Still have roughly half left.

Reactions: Cowpokey
I paid from 1.5-3 cents per round when I bought with CCI rebates - maybe 3-5 yrs ago max. Bought 50K SV :ROFLMAO: and another 25K of Blazer for semi-auto. Still have roughly half left.
I didn't have disposable money back then...I was still a poor. Well, not really just "extended" with a couple vehicle notes, mortgage...etc. I wish I could buy Blazers for $180 and CCI-SV for $250 a case now. It's definitely good ammo for race gun games.

Reactions: Chickentoast

What he said!

As we all know, rimfire rifles are even more picky about ammo then centerfire rifles can be. With my Savage MkII BTVLSS, it actually shoots tighter groups out to 100 yards with CCI Mini Mags than it does with CCI Standard Velocity. But my AR22 with the CMMG 16" heavy barrel is just the opposite, It shoots the CCI Standard better than Mini Mags.

Reactions: BurtG
I shot them interchangeably (for the most part) in a hunting context. Every once in a while a batch would be more than a .5 moa different. But if your shooting them 100-300 rounds at a time....its not really an issue to stay on top of.
FB_IMG_1674008473969.jpg

I used a 40yd zero on my suppressed 77/22 for over a decade. And head shots from stupid close to Iike 65yds was PBR. 8-9 moa gets you 100yds.

Only thing I had issues with was the SV was just okay to use hunting rabbits or zapping starlings. But you want subsonic HP's if given the choice in a hunting context....especially if its a stouter critter like racoons. Every once in a while I'd spear a bird with SV's and it would fly off and die midflight.

I'm fairly positive the load is identical between the two and difference is solely the minute weight difference and flight characteristics of the round nose versus the hollow point. And then obviously the lot to lot variance.

It's a crock of shit one costs more than the other materials wise. I wasn't happy spending $7/100 rnds years ago. I've had a bitch of a time getting 1050 subsonic HP for like the last 8yrs here locally. And "Quiet" loads are too slow. If I want sub's...I have to go online. I've must have a cunt here locally who scoops it all up...I'm certain of it. Cuz I never encounter anyone shooting it but the stores all have sku's for it on the shelf. And I encounter guys shooting SV all the time.

Last edited:
I remember some testing on rimfirecentral or maybe accurateshooter that essentially concluded that the SD's of the subsonic were not as good as the std velocity. Std Velocity is the best rimfire ammo you can buy short or Eley or SK match etc. - i.e. the stuff that costs 5X as much, and the group differences were essentially 0.1" @ 100yds.

I did my own ammo testing afterwards, as I saw the ammo shortage coming and wanted to buy the right stuff in bulk - still have some targets I think... but confirmed that 50 yds was a wash, and 100 yds was small diff.
At least for part of my string of fire I settled down and did three shots back to back at 302 yards on the 4" 'head' of my plate. I stacked all three shots into a sub 2" group at that distance with the SV. That said, I am treating that as an outlier, not the norm. ;)

That said it's nice to know my rifle is capable of that given I find ok ammo. At first the SV would not cycle my gun (10/22), but in hindsight I think that is because it's at least 500 rounds over due for a cleaning. That said, even if it doesn't cycle it I can swap springs out to something a little bit lighter without much problem if need be. After I hand cycled it a few times the SV cycled the gun just fine.

I paid like $8 and some change for a 100 round slider that I got in a 500 round sleeve for a total of 500 rounds. It was a tack on item for something else I was already buying so there was a little bit of shipping and tax involved. The price was 'ok' but more importantly I want to test out various stuff as I can get it in.

Just to clarify............I was talking 50 round boxes. Walmart is now up to almost 12$ for the 100 round box, but that is for mini mags. I've only seen the sv in 50 round boxes, unlike the OP who found a 100 round box. Still cheaper by the 50!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

I've chrono'd a ton of CCI SV rounds at various times/temps over the years.
I get 1030 FPS out of a Savage MKII barrel through a can around 50F. Above that obviously little bit higher with elevated temps.

CCI SV is probably the best low cost ammo I've found. It's very close at 50-200 yards with Lapua and Eley. Beyond that, they may have an advantage.

Just to clarify............I was talking 50 round boxes. Walmart is now up to almost 12$ for the 100 round box, but that is for mini mags. I've only seen the sv in 50 round boxes, unlike the OP who found a 100 round box. Still cheaper by the 50!:cool::cool::cool::cool:
They sell 100 round hard plastic boxes. Way better protected than the cardboard shit. I save the plastic boxes and toss the cardboard ones in it. Also, the plastic box is a good form factor for a day of hunting critters.
Screenshot_20230118_210710_Chrome.jpg

I put 50 rounds of CCI-SV though my Vudoo Thee 60 a couple days ago. Won't do that again. However, it had OKish numbers. 10 round stings.
Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 10.45.04 PM.png

I use the subsonic hollow point on close range prairie dogs. Works pretty well out of my cz452. It’s nice to be able to shoot a quieter round.

I like the HP subs for varmints in the backyard, quiet and anchors them better it I don't get the head shot (woodchucks).

Mike

Keep tabs on that site. The hollow point subs and everything comes in stock from time to time.
It is CCI. The house I just sold in Lewiston is right at 400 yards from their original plant on Snake River Avenue. Funny that I could not find 22LR anywhere in town a couple of years ago but could order it direct, albeit in limited quantities, and it came from right down the block. There was a time, not that long ago, that there was no limit to quantity. It was the best way to buy primers and rimfire in quantity due the lot number being the same.
I use the SV in my suppressed B14R on the feral cats with great results. MUCH more quiet than the supposedly suppressed GAMO 22 cal air rifle my wife uses, same velocity but those pellets are something like 15 grains and they are effective on the ferals, too.