• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about changing calibers?

SourMash

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2012
GA
So I'm wanting to build a precision .300wm and I would like to use a Remington 700 action. My question is, If I found a used long action (in a different caliber), how much trouble is it to have it converted to the .300wm? If this is a stupid question, please forgive me but I'm just a new guy that's interested in it. I'm only talking about the bolt face in general.

Here is a list that was posted by JE Custom on another website.

Long actions with a bolt face .Dia of .540 +/-
257 Weatherby, 264 Win Mag, 270 weatherby Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm Weatherby Mag, 7 STW,
7mm Rem Ultra Mag, 300 H & H, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby Mag, 300 RUM, 303 Brit,
8mm Rem Mag, 338 Win Mag, 340 Weatherby Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H & H, 375 Weatherby,
375 RUM, 416 Rem Mag, 458 Win Mag, and the 458 Lott.

So I'm wanting to build a precision .300wm and I would like to use a Remington 700 action. My question is, If I found a used long action (in a different caliber), how much trouble is it to have it converted to the .300wm? If this is a stupid question, please forgive me but I'm just a new guy that's interested in it. I'm only talking about the bolt face in general.

Is this a budget build? Most likely all you will use from your "donor gun" that you buy will be the action body itself. More likely than not you'll want a new bolt like a PTG One Piece and of course you'll be replacing the trigger.

Why not consider one of the Remington Precision actions like a BAT, Surgeon, Stiller, etc. Yes you'll pay more initially but all the custom work you'll have to add to the stock action body is already done. Another great feature is that your new action would most likely come with an integral scope mount rail and nice solid recoil lug. In the end it may not cost as much more as you think.

I went the "donor rifle" route once already. Next time a Surgeon or BAT.

Yeah, I was planning on trying to save money where possible. I was only planning on using the action from the donor rifle. I'm not against the idea of buying one of those actions mentioned above. I just didn't know what all (and at what expense) would be involved with buying a donor action. I'm still intrigued with learning more about all of this.

For an all-custom build, you might want to check out 80% receivers.

80% Model 700 Rifle Receivers and Model 700 Rifle Receiver Blanks | RocketHub

Near the bottom of the "goods" column on the right, you can pick from long or short actions in non-heat treated 4140 steel($60),heat treated 4140 steel($70), or stainless($80). If you decide to purchase one, go to the conversations tab and ask for a jig to be included.

Last edited:
Like Deadshot said, unless you get a donor action with the magnum bf, you'll use the action body. Or, you can have the bolt face machined to magnum dimensions, then have a new (external) extractor installed, and trued with the action. Start your build from there. with the cost of the machine work, you'll be a good part of the way toward the cost of a new PT&G bolt.

With the PT&G bolt, you can get everything you want, with any of their options, sized (dia.) to fit your needs, plus the benefit of a 1-piece bolt. There will still need to be some minor fitting. You can sell the bolt from the donor action to offset a portion of the cost of the new bolt.

Compare the cost of that process vs. a custom action, and see which one fits your budget best.

Like Deadshot said, unless you get a donor action with the magnum bf, you'll use the action body. Or, you can have the bolt face machined to magnum dimensions, then have a new (external) extractor installed, and trued with the action. Start your build from there. with the cost of the machine work, you'll be a good part of the way toward the cost of a new PT&G bolt.

With the PT&G bolt, you can get everything you want, with any of their options, sized (dia.) to fit your needs, plus the benefit of a 1-piece bolt. There will still need to be some minor fitting. You can sell the bolt from the donor action to offset a portion of the cost of the new bolt.

Compare the cost of that process vs. a custom action, and see which one fits your budget best.

Don't overlook the fact that many "donor actions" have sloppy bolt ways and ID's. Just slipping in a new PTG bolt won't always eliminate issues unless the ID of the action is "trued" and then "Dave's boys" grind the new bolt to fit. There's nothing I hate worse than to push forward on the bolt handle only to have the #$@#$^& thing jam.

Add in all the action truing costs, plus the cost of a new bolt and you won't see all that much difference. I'd get a new bolt regardless if you go with a donor because I hate Remington bolts. Too sloppy, too large a firing pin hole, lousy springs that rub in inside of bolt body, soldered handles, rotten extractors, etc.

I don't sell custom actions so I have no profit motive. Just lots and lots of experience in spending a lot of money trying to save money. If you're wanting to build a good custom rifle then start with a good custom action that has all the work done from the beginning. If you want to save money initially, just go with a cheaper stock. (Like a B&C rather than McMillan, Manners, Mcree, AICS, etc.) Can always get one of those after you get some "Birthday Money". :)

Thanks a lot guys! I guess it's just gonna have to take longer than I originally planned as I'll be putting my first born in college next year and about the same time will be having to buy my second one a vehicle. Ugh..

will be having to buy my second one a vehicle. Ugh..

You ought to adopt the same program my Dad put me on. I could have any vehicle I wanted --------As long as I could afford it and that meant the purchase,insurance, gas, and maintenance.

What happened along the way that cars suddenly became an "entitlement" to teens? Damn I'm getting old or something :(