• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question about Defiance deviant tactical action.

stilts75

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2010
Fremont, CA
Hello,
I recently picked up a “new to me” rifle. The action is a Defiance Deviant Tactical (long action). It currently has Curtis Custom DBM and due to my lack of ability to obtain additional Curtis brand magazines (flush fitting) as well as the clankyness of DBM’s in general, I would just prefer to get rid of it and use a internal box magazine with a hinged floor plate. This rifle will only be used for LR shooting and hunting so I don’t need detachable magazines.

I have read on the Defiance website that the tactical actions are only compatible with DBM or sleds. Can someone please educate me as to why this is and if it can be modified to take a internal box magazine? I think I’d even be open to a custom internal box if such a thing exists.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

I’m pretty sure ADL/BDL hindged floorplate Remington bottom metal requires a certain cut on the action and most non hunting orientated action are focused more on DBM with AICS or AW mags.

Correct, I just don’t know if the DBM cut removes more material or it removes so much material that the action can not be converted to a internal box.

Defiance actions are NOT compatible with BDL (hinged floor plate) bottom metals. Your best bet is a 5 round mag if you are looking to keep the profile low.

There are a few models of defiance which will take their own designed bottom metal, but not a big stock BDL.

To determine if your action is BDL/ADL compatible take it out of the stock and look at the bottom of it. If the thing has a box mortise and feed rails, then you should be setup. If it's just an opening with a ramp up front, then your going to be constrained to a DBM.

As mentioned, we do have a DBM that seems to be growing in popularity. Happy to help.

C.

To Elaborate. Defiance Deviatnt Hunter Actions have the BDL box mortise and rails to will work with BDL. Deviant Tactical actions do not and will only work with DBM.

Piss poor image quality but this is what you are looking for.
The action shown at the top of this pic has integrally machined feed lips and mortise for the mag box.
The action shown at bottom is typical of receiver cuts specific to DBM systems that rely on the magazine to control the cartridge.

If yours is like the one on top, you are good to go with a BDL / ADL type feed system.

20200129_130237.jpg

./

Reactions: gnochi
Piss poor image quality but this is what you are looking for.
The action shown at the top of this pic has integrally machined feed lips and mortise for the mag box.
The action shown at bottom is typical of receiver cuts specific to DBM systems that rely on the magazine to control the cartridge.

If yours is like the one on top, you are good to go with a BDL / ADL type feed system.

View attachment 7236669

./
I know this is a two year old thread. Can the action that uses bdl style feed use any other style of magazine/bottom metal without any additional work or the feed rails need to be removed?

I know this is a two year old thread. Can the action that uses bdl style feed use any other style of magazine/bottom metal without any additional work or the feed rails need to be removed?
BDL actions can use center-feed magazines. AICS of the right length is good, AIAW is not.

Reactions: Terry Cross