• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes question about ffp scopes

Dead Nutz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2014
I like putting empty beer cans a Gatorade bottles at l little over 400yds away. Would I be able to accurately range them with a Msr reticle at that distance? It is my understanding they were made for ranging man size targets. But will they range the smaller things as well.

I like putting empty beer cans a Gatorade bottles at l little over 400yds away. Would I be able to accurately range them with a Msr reticle at that distance? It is my understanding they were made for ranging man size targets. But will they range the smaller things as well.

It's possible, but the smaller and further away you get, the harder it is. For real accurate ranging a good range finder, or GPS is the way to go.

A 6 inch target will measure approximately .42 mils at 400 yards. If you are practiced, you should be able to get within a .05 mil accuracy range for measurement. At a .35 mil reading, you'll calculate 475 yards; at .40 mils, 417 yards; at .45 mils, 370 yards. With my .308, if I dialed for the 417 yard hold, I would be .2 mils (8cm) off, whereas if I dialed for the 370 yard, I would also be .2 mils off. This means in a best case scenario, you could probably expect to be within +/- .2 mils at 400 yards if you mil a 6 inch target. A 6 inch target is ~15 cm tall, meaning you might be hitting right over the top or right underneath.

For what it's worth, a soda can is less than 5 inches tall, meaning your margin of error to make a hit will decrease, and your potential error in ranging will increase. In other words, don't expect a first round hit.

A 6 inch target will measure approximately .42 mils at 400 yards. If you are practiced, you should be able to get within a .05 mil accuracy range for measurement. At a .35 mil reading, you'll calculate 475 yards; at .40 mils, 417 yards; at .45 mils, 370 yards. With my .308, if I dialed for the 417 yard hold, I would be .2 mils (8cm) off, whereas if I dialed for the 370 yard, I would also be .2 mils off. This means in a best case scenario, you could probably expect to be within +/- .2 mils at 400 yards if you mil a 6 inch target. A 6 inch target is ~15 cm tall, meaning you might be hitting right over the top or right underneath.

For what it's worth, a soda can is less than 5 inches tall, meaning your margin of error to make a hit will decrease, and your potential error in ranging will increase. In other words, don't expect a first round hit.
Perfect example. I was trying to get time to do this earlier, but dang work kept getting in the way!

Torso/half torso sizes are about the limit of accurate ranging, out to 600-800yds depending on the conditions. Anything smaller is a good challenge and great practice, but difficult to come up with a correct solution.

Good information above. I'll use an example from a practice session we had at the local range, where one member placed a couple targets at unknown distance. The first was a 10" round. This was my first experience ranging with my mil-hash FFP reticle (non-MSR) and I estimated the target to be a bit less than .75 mils, maybe .70 or so.

At .75 mils target size, I'd expect a range of 370 yds and dial 1.7. At about .7, I dialed 1.9 for around 400 yds. I hit the target, but was low by about 5" (very bottom of target). I corrected my dial to 2.2 and smacked it center, then was able to dial for and hit the other target, mostly hidden, which we were told was 55 yds from the first.

It turns out the 1st target was about 430 yds away or about .64 mils on the scope vs. the .70 I had estimated. If I had not had a flattish shooting .260 and had been shooting a .223 or even .308, I would likely have missed the first shot low, as some others did.

This taught me that estimating for range is something I need more practice with, as I would have missed a 6" or 8" target at that range with the difference being .06 mils between my estimation and the actual.