• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question About GAP Templar Action???

KNIGHT11B4

Core Shooting
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
Everywhere
www.coreshooting.com
Gents-
Have a new GAP coming my way very shortly with a Templar action. Wondering if that Templar action will accept a rail extension. The rail extension simply goes over the standard moa base on an M24 and extends the rail over the sides and down the barrel allowing the use of items such as a UNS.
Wondering if anyone may have any thoughts about this... Thnx Gents

Re: Question About GAP Templar Action???

If it is picatinny based then it should fit fine but the Templar base is built taller than Badgers or Leupold Mark 4s as they are meant to be able to accept up to a 50mm objective while still using standard .825" height rings. This shouldn't be a major problem though.

If you are referring to the McCann MARS rail system, (or the same one marketed by Remington), it does not just mount over the existing scope base/rail. It is a system that replaces the existing rail. I am not sure if the Templar action accepts a standard Remington spec rail, but if it does then you could mount the rail system you are referring to. There are however much better solutions to what you are trying to do. The forward rails that are embedded in the front of the stock are a much better way to do it. If you are having GAP build your rifle, then you could have them add the Badger EFR (Embedded Front Rail) when they are building your rifle. The MARS type rails tend to come loose and also raise the scope up too high.

Just my 2 cents....

Scott, it is clear from these pics that the Templar does not have a rear receiver ring "heel" machined into it, therefore the 700 compatible MARS will not fit the Templar without modification.

Secondly, an M24 is a long action and the Templar a short action, so even if it had a M700 SA heel cut on it then M24 MARS would not fit it.

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2008/04/22/ga-precision-offers-new-harrison-built-action/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Secondly, an M24 is a long action and the Templar a short action</div></div>

The Templar is offered in long and short action
http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2008/04/22/ga-precision-offers-new-harrison-built-action/
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gardner notes: “The new GAP ‘Templar’ Short and Long actions will be replacing our GA 7000 action.</div></div>

Yes, my Templar is a LA in .338LM. Leo's point about the rear "cut" is correct though. All the more reason to go with a front embedded rail rather than the troublesome MARS system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Secondly, an M24 is a long action and the Templar a short action</div></div>

The Templar is offered in long and short action
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gardner notes: “The new GAP ‘Templar’ Short and Long actions will be replacing our GA 7000 action.</div></div> </div></div>

Good point. I had Crusader on the mind = short action. Still it (MARS) won't fit either without modification.

Thanks for all the input guys. I had intended on doing the embeded forward rail anyway but I have been waiting for my GAP so long I didnt want to extend the wait. Plus from talking to George I know they are swamped. So i was just going to use the rail off the M24 which we have a few extras of until I get the forward rail mounted down the road.

Again thanks for the help all.

Call and add the EFR if wont make your wait longer, Get it done the way you want it now rather then later.

Just call Kerry and have him add that to the ticket.

straight from the man himself!

Hope you called!

The Man has spoken looks like there is one made that fits the templar or they make it fit. Cool.