• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about Hbn bullets in melonited barrels

Mad_Charlie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2012
West Central Fl.
Has anyone that has used this combination noticed any negative accuracy as compared to "normal" jacketed bullets?

I have a stainless 18" 6.5 Grendel AR build that shoots in the 6's with Speer 120 Gold Dots. I have spoken to Speer and they say that the 120 Gold Dot bullet is factory hbn coated. That is all well and good, but I am doing another build with a melonited barrel, and I don't want to waste bullets trying to work up an accurate load if it is a bad combination to begin with.

I have shot moly coated bullets from nitride barrels w/o incidence. Very accurate. You just have 2 slicker than normal surfaces as opposed to naked-naked.
Your existing load most likely will do you no good even if all else is equal, just need more powder. The rifling in the barrel still engraves the bullet. And the more we read and experiment with positive compensation, the less we rely on OBT as a tool.

Last edited:
Well, it's going to be a while before I get to try them out, I guess we'll see then. I do have a good selection of other bullets.

Thanks for the info.