• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about Lee's .308 die

Onoko

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2012
California
I tried to use a full length sizing die the other night with a hand press and lets just say it did not go so well. Lubed the die quite well and it got jammed about half way down. I used a little more power and it got stuck. Then I pulled out the case and the decapping pin came out with the case. The decapping pin got stuck inside the case, it looks as if the die is really narrow. Then I tried to take out the set screw that holds the pin and wow some how it got completely stripped. I will try to post pictures later but did anyone have a problem like this?

It would be helpful to know the make of the brass, the chamber or rifle it was fired in, and what case lube you used.

The Lee decapping pin is designed (like some others) to pull out if it gets stuck, instead of breaking. But I don't think stripping threads is part of that goal. Photos will help.

It was federal brass once fired in .308 but I changed barrels so I need to resize the full case. I used Lee's case lube. Yeah it was suppose to come out but the neck of the case was pretty much crimped behind the decapping pin and I basically yanked the case out and the pin came with it. Then I unscrewed the top screw that holds the pin and that thing stripped as it was coming out. Not really sure how but it's lie it wasn't screwed in straight or something like that. By the way it was the first time I used this die.

Shell1_zpsa00216bc.jpg

The pin was actually inside and the case neck closed around it but this picture just shows how tight neck and the pin won't go through. The screws on the decapping pin set screw is stripped also.

ShellCrimp_zpsbfbac887.jpg
[/URL]
This is how it looked once it went 65% of the way in and I pulled it out and cut it to get the pin out.

Looks awful. My experience with Lee (most of my dies are Lee) is that their quality control isn't great, and I am wondering if you got an expander stem intended for something larger than a .308 case mouth. It could also be that the die is narrow, but judging from the bulged but not crushed neck, my first thought is the expander is too big, rather than the die too small.

I also have to ask if you lubricated the inside of the neck? This looks worse than anything I'd expect from just failing to lubricate the neck, but I have to ask.

Actually the expended pin goes smoothly through other cases fine, but the neck sizing parts seems really narrow. The case was lubed inside and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, you need to call Lee, tell them the story and send the die and the case to them (if they even want to see it).

I'll bet they will take care of you.

Someone screwed the pooch on that die.

Did you even bother to measure the diameter of the expanding ball? It should be just under .308

Also, if this is military brass, the wall thickness at the neck could be a bit on the thick side causing the exterior dimension around the neck to be correct when sized in the die but the inside of the neck rather tight as a result. This would make the process of pulling the expanding ball through the neck a little more painful than usual.

Also, Your decapping pin was not tight enough if you were able to pull it out. Brass is soft enough to be able to pull the case past the ball. Lubed in the neck or not. You got it in the die, you should have no problem getting it out.

I never lube my dies, I lube my cases with that Hornady one shot spray. Lubing a die is useless.

Summary, I see these problems: Without a doubt not enough lube, a thick walled case, and operator error. Not a problem with the dies.

Hand presses are useless, you need a bench mounted press.

Last edited:
The expanding ball was not the problem, that went through fine. But the neck sizing part seemed a bit tight or rather really tight. The expander went through and the neck part closed it so tight that when I yanked the press open it pulled the expander out and was stuck inside the case. I cut open the case to get it out.

The brass was federal brass.

Tightness of the decapping was pretty much set from the factory. What's also confusing is that when I backed the set screw out it stripped. Not sure how that worked either.

I never lubed the die. Didn't think you were suppose to.

I agree about the hand press. I am in the process of moving things around to setup a new table. I would rather use a bench press. Until then it's a hand press.

In your original post you said you lubed the die. That is why I made the comment.

Hand presses are completely useless for any medium size case. They are ok for pistol if you are into pain and suffering loading 20 rounds an hour but 308? not hardly.

If you had that die on a bench mounted press you would not have had an issue. I have the same issues with some of my dies, if I pull the decapping pin out and size the necks without pulling them through an expander ball you can not get a bullet in them.

When I was in high school living with my parents I had a small lee press mounted to a piece of plywood that I would put on my desk and hold it in place with a couple c clamps and did my reloading. When I was done I put it back in the closet. I think the biggest thing I loaded was 30-30 for my deer rifle but it worked jut fine. I certainly would not do a 30-06 on it or something that required some effort.

Oops I meant case. Yeah I talked to a guy at Lee's, sending the die in and they will replace it. Guess I'm just going to have to wait to have a spot for the bench press. Hopefully it won't happen a second time

Did you have the expander ball far enough down in the die?

If the expander is too high, then the case neck is going to get pinched between the expander ball and the sizing die neck. Then it's not going anywhere.....

By your picture, that's what looks like occurred.

No it was far enough down. The picture just shows me putting the expander on top after I removed it. I tired checking with another shell and it was really tight I didn't want to push it all the way for it to get stuck

ETA - send the die back to Lee, they're great about replacing their stuff.

Did you have the expander ball far enough down in the die?

If the expander is too high, then the case neck is going to get pinched between the expander ball and the sizing die neck. Then it's not going anywhere.....

By your picture, that's what looks like occurred.

This is what I was going to say.

My Lee dies in 223, 308 and 338 lapua work great. There is no way an expander ball grip on the neck alone is enough to rip the case in half without it pinching the neck in the die.

I had the exact samething happen with a Lee 270 win fl die. My problem was a combination of the expander being rough and adjusted too high. I chucked the decapper in a drill and used scotch brite to pollish it up, and once I got the depth set correctly it worked like a charm.

No it was far enough down. The picture just shows me putting the expander on top after I removed it. I tired checking with another shell and it was really tight I didn't want to push it all the way for it to get stuck

If you say so.
But your picture clearly shows where the neck of the case was being resized by the die and being stuck on the upside of the expander ball.