• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about lot-to-lot variation in Varget

Kbh

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2017
Central Texas
I've read that varget can show considerable variation between lots. How much have you seen in your shooting?

I'm shooting an AIAX 308 with factory bartlein 1-10 barrel with about 1500 rounds. I do not have a chronograph so velocity is approximate but trued at 1125 and 1400 using JBM.

Using original jug of varget I was about 2675-2685 fps. Recently opened a new jug and I'm at about 2615. Nothing else has changed. Has anyone else seen this much variation?

I have seen variance in a lot of powders(not 50+FPS). It’s just how it goes. Also I have to ask how are you telling your velocity if you don’t have a crony? Am I missing somthing?

Haven't done a lot of testing yet, but with my old vs new jug I'm seeing about 20fps slower with the new jug. Using a LabRadar...

I have seen variance in a lot of powders(not 50+FPS). It’s just how it goes. Also I have to ask how are you telling your velocity if you don’t have a crony? Am I missing somthing?

He’s using software to give him velocity.

Reactions: RTH1800
I just changed lots between 8lb jugs. I only saw a 6 fps change this time, but I've seen more in the past.

I think powder storage conditions can play a part in this, humidity affecting weight of the powder relative to the amount of actual combustible material.

Reactions: 47guy and Nimothy
I've read that varget can show considerable variation between lots. How much have you seen in your shooting?

I'm shooting an AIAX 308 with factory bartlein 1-10 barrel with about 1500 rounds. I do not have a chronograph so velocity is approximate but trued at 1125 and 1400 using JBM.

Using original jug of varget I was about 2675-2685 fps. Recently opened a new jug and I'm at about 2615. Nothing else has changed. Has anyone else seen this much variation?
Just add a few more grains of powder for the new lot to match your speed and keep on shooting.

Just add a few more grains of powder for the new lot to match your speed and keep on shooting.
If he is using varget in a 308 he is probably compressed already don’t you think? I’ve never had it shoot all that well unless it’s 44-45gr across most 168-175gr 178 eld are to long for 308 to be mag fed with any type of respectable velocity

If he is using varget in a 308 he is probably compressed already don’t you think? I’ve never had it shoot all that well unless it’s 44-45gr across most 168-175gr 178 eld are to long for 308 to be mag fed with any type of respectable velocity

With the 178amax I never had any issues with being mag length and could easily get 2700fps out of them from a factory barrel with AR-COMP or Varget though they had the best accuracy right around 2650fps in that rifle.
That seamed plenty of respectable velocity for me and every deer, hog or coyote I put a round through didn't have much of chance.

Reactions: Rookie

I have 3 lots currently and they are 100FPS apart.

With the 178amax I never had any issues with being mag length and could easily get 2700fps out of them from a factory barrel with AR-COMP or Varget though they had the best accuracy right around 2650fps in that rifle.
That seamed plenty of respectable velocity for me and every deer, hog or coyote I put a round through didn't have much of chance.
I’m sure you didn’t. Amax is shorter than an eld. I’d be willing to be you’d have a hard time reaching 2600 with varget without pressure and be under 2.84coal

I’m sure you didn’t. Amax is shorter than an eld. I’d be willing to be you’d have a hard time reaching 2600 with varget without pressure and be under 2.84coal

I didn't know they were longer than the 178amax and I still have a supply of the AMAX but good to know.
My load with the amax was 2.885 but could switch to an Alpha mag in my new rifle and load out to 2.96 if needed.
To the OP next week I plan on running a different/newer lot of Varget in 6.5x47 to see what the difference is from my current/older lot.

That sounds fishy. Am I just behind the times?

We use software to calculate BC. It’s no different.

As long as he’s using the same software and same inputs, for the most part, he will see when his barrel slows down/speeds up based on his dope and the software’s calculated speed. It could be due to throat erosion or powder variation, weather, etc.

I only use a chrono to make check sd/es and make sure my loads are consistent. I might use it for a starting point for software. After that, I tweak velocity and BC to whatever is needed to match my dope.

A chrono is obviously easier for keeping up with things. But if he has the same lot Bullets and BC and all other factors consistent in his software, then it’s fine.

If he changed anything at all in the calculator, then that’s a different story.

I didn't know they were longer than the 178amax and I still have a supply of the AMAX but good to know.
My load with the amax was 2.885 but could switch to an Alpha mag in my new rifle and load out to 2.96 if needed.
To the OP next week I plan on running a different/newer lot of Varget in 6.5x47 to see what the difference is from my current/older lot.
Could you let me know too. I’m currently waiting on a action to show up for a 16.5” carbon build. And initially I though I would run h4350, didn’t know varget was a major contender in the caliber. Until a few weeks ago talking to the gun shop resident old man.

Reactions: XLR308
I have 3 lots currently and they are 100FPS apart.
Ok. Didn't know it might be that much.

Im loading 43.5 varget with a 185 juggernaut or 43.0 with 185 scenar with no pressure signs. Neither is compressed. It's still shooting good just needs more elevation at distance. I was just curious if that big a difference was common with varget

I'm 44.5 gn varget 2695 185 juggernaut but it is a 29" barrel

What is this "Varget" you speak of? Haven't seen that stuff on shelves in forever.

Reactions: Nimothy