• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about lube methods....

EchoDeltaSierra

Slightly above average
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2013
Minnesota
Hopefully the title gets some attention. :cool:

So, my brass prep include sizing my 6.5CR cases with a Redding FL neck bushing die, and I haven’t been running a ball through he neck on the way out. I have a new batch of Sig brass I’m prepping for my lady, and I’d like to run a carbide ball through the neck during the prep process. I have been using Hornady One-Shot, and picked up an Imperial neck lube kit.

What’s the proper lube process (if there is one), for doing a full length size, neck bushing, and pulling a ball through the neck? Should I just lube cases as normal with the One-Shot and dip the neck in the Imperial lube and size? ... or, is this a process that require two dies, a body die and neck die?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I lay my brass in a short sided cardboard box and squirt a liberal amount of Dillon case lube (alcohol/lanolin) on them than roll them around to distribute the lube and let the alcohol flash off.

Has worked for me.

Use the OneShot. Stand up the brass and spray down from a 45 degree angle. That will let some get into the necks. ***OneShot will not harm powder or primers.*** Then size away.

I second the One Shot at a 45 angle. It has worked well for me for years. The only issues I have had with the One Shot was getting in a hurry and not letting it dry.
This is a key point with oneshot!
Apply liberally and give it all the time it needs to dry.
Lay I on sparingly or rush it and you WILL have problems.

for big cases I use a smidge of imperial and wipe it off after sizing.

Reactions: Alabusa
I’m not asking about how to use one shot or any other case lube. Though thanks for the info.

I’m asking about can a case be hit with one-shot one the body, then the neck dipped in Imperial dry lube to allow the inside of the neck to be lived when running a mandrel or ball?

I’d prefer doing a one-step process as I have 500 cases to size.

I’m not asking about how to use one shot or any other case lube. Though thanks for the info.

I’m asking about can a case be hit with one-shot one the body, then the neck dipped in Imperial dry lube to allow the inside of the neck to be lived when running a mandrel or ball?

Yes

Reactions: EchoDeltaSierra

Oneis actually pretty good for working necks.

spraying it at 45 degrees gets the inside of the neck and case body.

I started using it when sizing up 243 Winchester cases to 260 MR.

Reactions: EchoDeltaSierra
I think I have figured this out. This is my first time using Imperial dry lube and it’s pretty dang nice. I wanted to run a ball through the necks of 200 pieces of new brass, and for those, it was nothing other than dip the case in just past the shoulder and run through the die. For my fired cases (which I always FL size), I wanted to start running a ball through the neck for concentricity. In this case, dipping the neck of several pieces in dry lube first, laying out on a lube pad, then very lightly hitting the bodies with one shot provides a really smooth running one-step process.