• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about Muzzlebrake

chili77

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2010
Austria
Hi

Does a muzzlebrake change muzzlevelocity?
Did anybody measure before and after mounting?

A muzzlebrake changes the point of impact. It seems it always does upwards. Why? If it would be only the oscillation of the barrel it wouldn't always be the same direction.

Thanks

Chili

Re: Question about Muzzlebrake

I have never experianced any velocity change with a brake on or off of a rifle , I have seen some suppressors add a little more velocity (15-20 fps)

As for the POI shift , if you have experiance it going up on all your rifles then I guess your lucky , I've seen the vertical change but the POI shift 2" to the right just from screwing a break on and off , same group size just POI shift. I have seen some riflr need to have loads reworked a fair ammound after having a brake put on also , the rounds that were tuned for the barrle pre-brake did not shoot as well as the barrle with a brake

I've not noticed any change in velosity or POI with the breaks I use. I have a break/flash hider from Primary Weapons System on .223 and 6.8 SPC caliber AR's and on a .308 bolt gun with real good success. On the .223, there is almost no loss of sight picture on recoil. The 6.8 SPC recoil is reduced to less than standard .223 recoil. On the .308 bolt gun, the recoil is reduced down to very comfortable levels.

A video showing shots from a 6.8 SPC with a standard A2 flashider in total darkness showed a small but noticeable flash. With the PWS break/flash hider, no flash at all. It's a very effective piece of gear and my Gemtech Halo fits very well. Cost is about $150.00

Indiansinger

Thanks for your answers.

Most brakes I've seen changed the POI upwards. Thats one of the reasons why I thaught it's logically that it's a higher v0.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chili77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for your answers.

Most brakes I've seen changed the POI upwards. Thats one of the reasons why I thaught it's logically that it's a higher v0. </div></div>

That could be becasue of your shooting posion and how your body takes the recoil.

Most accuracy improvements with a brake on a rifle as opposed to being off the rifle have nothing to do with the brake other then it's making up for poor shooting position or technique, meaning the brake is more of a crutch for the poor shooting position, rather then the brake magically making the rifle more accurate.