• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about my 721 action

dt00083

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
U.S.
Thought I would ask some fellow hiders about my Rem 721 5 digit serial number action. I have this old 30-06 rifle that I don't shoot, so I was thinking of building a 338 Rum out of it, Is this action a rare or desired action? Does it have value?
Any info would be appreciated.
25hjrxv.jpg

Re: Question about my 721 action

I have one for a .270 WIN that my grandfather built in the 1950s. It is the precursor to the R700. Getting original parts for the 721 is challenging. I had an issue with the extractor and I ended up needing to get a sako style installed since parts weren't obtainable.

In terms of being "desirable," I cannot really help you there because I don't deal with antiques. Performance wise, it's probably comparable to an off the shelf R700.

The 338 RUM is a new cartridge, released in 2002 per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.338_Remington_Ultra_Magnum and "operates at very high pressures." I would call the gunsmith you plan using and getting his opinion. For some more perspective, you could read http://www.bordenrifles.com/338_lapua.pdf According to this, Borden's standard actions can accommodate a .338 RUM. In any event, assuming a 338 RUM fits in your action, you'll need a magnum boltface bolt, which means you'll probably need to order one from PTG and have it fitted.

Perhaps it might be more cost effective to leave the 721 as a hunting rifle, sell it for a few hundred dollars, and use the funds to get a stiller TAC 338? That's what I would do anyway.

Thanks for the info.

I have the Mag bolt face and everything to complete this build. Its never going to get shot, so I decided why not use it for my budget build. But thought I would ask If I'm making a mistake by hacking this action up, opining it up so the Rum will feed into it.

If i remember correctly, the 721 can use a lot of the aftermarket parts a 700 can use. Only real difference is that you have to modify the safetyof a 700 trigger to work on the 721. A 338 RUM might be a bit too much for the action though, have you looked at the 338 WM?

The 721 is an extremely strong action. That and its a long action. It will handle just about any round you want including the 338 Lup Mag.

If I remember right its the same length as the 1917 Enfield action. I made a 416 Rigby on the Enfield action which is the same length as the 338 L