• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

PRS Talk Question about my first PRS match

tna9001

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2017
Asheville NC
Hey guys,

On the 16th, I'm shooting in the South Eastern Shooters Challange at K&M. I think I've got the gear together but I'm wondering about how many magazines I'll need to have with me (I'm using 10 round mags in my rifle). Also, any advice on mag pouches? These from Tab gear look like they'd work, anyone use them?

TAB Gear is top notch, but holstering a magazine with a pouch utilizing a retaining cord can be difficult one handed. The TAB Gear, and others with the retaining cord design, can be difficult to insert the magazine one handed. At the end of a stage, you'll need to remove the magazine and holster it. If you are holding the rifle (not prone, or hanging from a sling), it's nice to be able to holster the magazine one handed. The retaining cord can be adjusted for easier holstering, but it's still in the way - personal preference.

Another option is a kydex magazine holder. Short Action Precision sells a nice one for about $45.
https://www.shortactionprecision.com/collections/mags-metal/products/kydex-aics-mag-holder

High Speed Gear makes a "hybrid" magazine holder which is also popular and easy to load single handed.
http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/taco-11TA00.html

If you've got an AW mag, the kydex is a better choice.

^ What they said. I carry 2 mags, but 3 is always fine if you don't mind carrying more stuff. The mag holder can also be very nice, but isn't completely necessary. Most stages won't require a mag change on the clock, but a few might. The holster is most useful for storing an empty mag after you finish a stage, or holding a loaded mag while you are carrying your junk up to the stage.

TAB Gear is top notch, but holstering a magazine with a pouch utilizing a retaining cord can be difficult one handed. The TAB Gear, and others with the retaining cord design, can be difficult to insert the magazine one handed. At the end of a stage, you'll need to remove the magazine and holster it. If you are holding the rifle (not prone, or hanging from a sling), it's nice to be able to holster the magazine one handed. The retaining cord can be adjusted for easier holstering, but it's still in the way - personal preference.

Another option is a kydex magazine holder. Short Action Precision sells a nice one for about $45.
https://www.shortactionprecision.com/collections/mags-metal/products/kydex-aics-mag-holder

High Speed Gear makes a "hybrid" magazine holder which is also popular and easy to load single handed.
http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/taco-11TA00.html

If you've got an AW mag, the kydex is a better choice.

I've got the AX308, I can't find anything in kydex for that magazine specifically, I wonder if the dimensions of the AW mag are close enough?

[/COLOR]

I've got the AX308, I can't find anything in kydex for that magazine specifically, I wonder if the dimensions of the AW mag are close enough?

It's the same size if you have the AIAX double stack, I use the AW mags in my AX in fact. They are almost identical except the small lip on the front top of the magazine.

I did my first PRS and NRL matches last summer and it was a blast! Study the stage and practice it in your head before it's your turn. When you can, watch the shooters ahead of you for ideas. You'll see guys make mistakes and you'll see guys make the stages look easy. Have fun!!!

Triad Tacticals CMP pouch is also very well made and a bit cheaper than TAB.

while mag changes aren't common for the matches i attend I mainly got it in case of a jam. It would allow me to just rip the mag out and put in the fresh one without fiddling with any wonky rounds and now being short a round or 2.

good luck and remember to breath lol