• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Question about my range trip

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I took my 700SPS out today. It has a B&C stock on it.
This trip was mainly to evaluate some loads.
The Nosler 180gr BT was a little disappointing, but it was a starter load and the problem may have been due to parralax. There is more on that in the optics forum.
The best group I had was using 155gr SMK Palma bullets. I had a .82 gr 5 round group that was 4 rounds touching in a diagonal group. It was a straight diagonal line, with a single flyer that was all me.

My question is, since I was shooting off sandbags would the diagonal line- rising to the right, be due to uneven pressure from the nags I rested on?

Jim

Re: Question about my range trip

Let me start by saying I am no expert, but to me it sounds like your trigger control is slightly off, that and maybe if you are right handed you are pulling slightly right when you do pull the trigger, I have no idea your experience level but the online training on this site fixed every problem I had with things like this. When I first began shooting for accuracy I had similar issues, and it was in fact my trigger control.

just food for thought

-Taylor

I am about to adjust that trigger- it is STIFF!
I shoot NRA Bullseye pistol. That tends to teach proper trigger control, and really magnifies errors.
I was wondering if the rifle might have been bouncing to one side. I tried to get it rested on the bags where it was aimed at the spot I was shooting at. It seems like it had a little more pressure on one side but I don't know if that will affect the poi or not. I also didn't hold the forend- I just let it sit and put my left hand near the pistol grip on the stock.
It may have something to do with the scope too. I will be checking that too but i have got to lighten up that trigger.

Jim

OK, that was easy. I will see if the trigger weight stays like it is, but it is much lighter now. I don't have a guage here but it feels a little lighter than on my bullseye 1911 .45acp and that is set at 3.5#. I would guesstimate this at around 3# or maybe a little less.
This stock trigger wasn't as bad as my Colt AR15 was- that was so high dad's guage couldn't measure it. The guage topped out at 8# if I remember right.
This Remington trigger felt like around 7#-8#.

I will report later when I get back to the range.

Jim