• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Question about newly acquired scope

dlxcupid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
Commie-fornia
Just received a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 LR with Mil-Dot from SWFA today. I was checking it out and playing with all the knobs to make sure everything's fine, so far everything seems to be working ok.

Here's my problem! As I'm looking through the scope, I can see the reticle fine, when I look at an object, the reticle blurs up! When I focus on the reticle, the object blurs up! Am I looking at it wrong? Is it because I don't have enough distance in the house? Lighting? I don't think it's a scope problem but operator(me) problem. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!!

~Dave

Re: NooB question about newly acquired scope

You must focus the diopter! This is usually a ring on the eyepiece of the scope. The usual way of doing this is to look through the scope at a blue sky and turn the ring until the reticle is sharply focused, then look away for several seconds, then look back through the scope to check your work. This may have to be repeated several times as the eye is pretty good at auto focusing. The reason that you are having the problems you are having is the eye has to choose which plane to focus on.

I didn't have a blue sky to look at since it's 8pm right now but I did adjust the focus on the eyepiece looking at a white wall. I looked at the reticle several times and adjusted the eyepiece until the reticle was most clear to me. Maybe it'll make alot more sense tomorrow when I take it outside in the daylight?

probably, the problem with doing it inside is usually how close the walls are.

yea I figured so. Not freaking out yet! lol...figured I'd have better results when there's daylight out. with 6x magnification, I'm pretty limited as far as distance goes. I thought there was something I was doing wrong. Will update tomorrow. Thanks!

Since this is a real-life question regarding equipment you physically have your hands on... unlike a video game... "NooB" is a painfully annoying term... Maybe I'm the only one with this feeling...