• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question About Pillar Bedding

Pete E

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2004
North Wales, UK
I received my Manners MCS-T today from the group buy, and I am looking for a little advice.

The stock has come with pillars already installed and these are slightly raised/proud of the surrounding fiberglass..

What is the best way to fit the action? do i bolt it straight in with just those to pillars making contact, or do i need to skim bed it?

Also, when I bedded my hogue stock, I bedded the first inch or so of the barrel, a head of the action...Is that recommended for the Manners stock as well, or should the barrel be completely free floating?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Peter

Re: Question About Pillar Bedding

I would bed the action. Everyone has different ideas as to wether to bed the first 1.5 or not any at all. I usually bed the first 1.5 on heavy barrels.

The pillars are a little proud so that when you bed the action there is enough thickness in the epoxy to get a good, even bedding job and free float on the tube.

Thanks Gents,

I thought that was the case, but just want to make sure...

Regards,

Peter

SO....in an HS precision stock on my remington 700 SS 5R in 308, which has the aluminum bedding blocks, im thinking of using the accu riser spacer system. it consists of sets of stainless washers in thicknesses ranging from .005 to .030. You can use any combination totaling up to .080 in thickness on both the front and back of action. this (i believe, correct me if im wrong), give you a solid base exactly at the point of your action screws and provides an even gap between action and stock when u apply your bedding compound, providing the full bedding support that you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigmike2121</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SO....in an HS precision stock on my remington 700 SS 5R in 308, which has the aluminum bedding blocks, im thinking of using the accu riser spacer system. it consists of sets of stainless washers in thicknesses ranging from .005 to .030. You can use any combination totaling up to .080 in thickness on both the front and back of action. this (i believe, correct me if im wrong), give you a solid base exactly at the point of your action screws and provides an even gap between action and stock when u apply your bedding compound, providing the full bedding support that you want. </div></div>

you don't need spacers......just skim bed it and you're done.

BigMike,

I also purchased the spacers (haven't used them yet - that rifle is further down on the list) and think they are a neat product to have metal-to-metal contact. I wish that I could have used them with the Vanguard I just bedded.

As I understand it the shims are only to get you off the stock/aluminum cradle just enough for epoxy to get in there and provide support so that the only metal-to-metal contact is at the action/AccuRiser/bedding block interface and not at the aluminum cradle.

Ernie shows it quite well in tip #6.