• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Question about pulling bullets

09cs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
Commiefornia
I have some loads that I never got around to shooting, and since then found a load that works better. If I pull these with this Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ? Impact Bullet Puller | Bass Pro Shops

1) will this puller be able to get out a bullet where the case is crimped (223)
2) I would like to be able to reuse the brass, do i need to resize it since it has a crimp? or will just re setting a bullet work?

Thank you!

FUUUUUCK those things. Get yourself a bullet puller from RCBS. They pull crimped bullets with ease and don't have you pinching a loaf with your nut sack retracted into your stomach every time you slam that thing down on a table.

Any time you mess with the case mouth I recommend resizing just to get things back into speck. Thats just me though. Some will argue but once you pull that bullet the tension that the case had on the bullet is not what it used to be. It's an extra step but its also an extra step towards safety, it'll give you more consistent groups, more accurate info on pressure signs etc...

Last edited:
The impact pullers are OK when pulling a few bullets. For anything else, get a collet type puller (Hornady is my preference, but RCBS, Forster all work).

The necks should be resized to re-establish the neck tension.

The impact pullers are OK when pulling a few bullets. For anything else, get a collet type puller (Hornady is my preference, but RCBS, Forster all work).

The necks should be resized to re-establish the neck tension.

Ditto that. I still occasionally use an impact puller, but I bought an RCBS collet puller a couple years ago and can't believe I've used the hammer/impact puller for so long. I didn't know.

Tried the hornady model, just couldn't get the camming action to work for me, sent it back.

Different strokes.

I have found some smaller bullets with short oqives are very difficult to pull with a collet puller and can damage the bullet. I experienced this trying to pull the bullets on a shitload of 22 Hornet that was loaded way too hot. The slammer did the job. I regularly pull military ball 7.62 with a slammer and it works fine.

I will add, if you are pulling soft nose (even plastic tip) bullets you need to put something inside the chamber of the puller soft enough to keep from deforming the bullet.

Thank you. I'll look into those mentioned. I only have a lee fl sizing die with decamping pin. Don't think it comes out does it? If not should I just pop out the live primer with it?

Thank you. I'll look into those mentioned. I only have a lee fl sizing die with decamping pin. Don't think it comes out does it? If not should I just pop out the live primer with it?
The decapper comes out. Just loosen the top nut.

I've pulled a bunch of .223 bullets with an impact puller. Some bullets take 8-15 whacks on a concrete floor for the bullet to come out. Crimps make it harder to get the bullet out. I've broke one hammer, and ruined a couple of the aluminum collets trying to pull .223 bullets. Light bullets won't move from inertia like heavier rifle or pistol bullets. Powder sprinkles all over the place out the top of the impact puller and spire point and soft point bullets can be damaged even with foam or rubber inside the hammer to protect the tips. The hammer has it's place but after many years of hammering out bullets I got a RCBS bullet puller with collets that works in my press. I kicked myself several times for not buying one years ago. It pulls bullets easily without damage, powder stays in the case and it's quick. Hornady's cam lock puller is often recommended too. Don't make the same mistake that I did, buy a collet bullet puller for your press and the collets you need. I'd take the primer pin out of your sizing die and resize cases that you've pulled bullets from saving the primer.

I've used a Forster collet puller (similar to the RCBS) for years. I decided to try the Hornady collet puller with the lever on top of the die. The Hornady puller is a lot quicker than the Forster puller since you cam over the lever rather than turning the pulling collet to grab the bullet.

If you're considering buying a collet puller, I recommend the Hornady puller.

I too, have a Hornady cam-lock puller that I truly love. It's quicker, cleaner, and quieter. If you only had a couple to pull, the kinetic would be fine. I would also resize the cases to get the neck tension back. Your decapping pin should be removable.Take it out, hand lube your cases and dip the neck in dry mica,resize,wipe the lube off,check your case length, and load em back up.