• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question About Rebarreling to Larger Caliber

HIPowerRx

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2013
Hi all, I'm considering my options for a future build. If I build a custom .308 rifle based on a long action (Surgeon/BAT/Defiance), what are some problems that may arise if I want to rebarrel to .300 WM or .338 LM after the .308 barrel has been shot out? Thanks for your help.

I have been contemplating this same idea...
Problem is you can't do it as a repeater, but if your ok with a single shot I would buy a defiance 338 action to start with. They (and batt machine) are the only ones that will sell a 308 bolt face on that large of an action. (Magnum no problem either way).If you only wanted 308 and win mag,you could use defiance or stiller and it could be a repeater. Mag fed. Any other way and you will have feeding problems.

Extra bolts from surgeon are around $400. $800 from batt.

Last edited:
If you contact stiller and ask them about a 338 action and a bolt down to .473 (308) case head, he would tell you your only the 3rd person to ask for it this year. I was the second. The market doesn't dictate it being worth it for him.

By the way, I have been shooting my first 308 for 5 years, good luck warring one out...

Great first post and welcome to the hide.

Last edited: