• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing question about remington 1100 not cycling

HOOFER

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2007
lewistown, MT, Colorado
hey guys,

well nearing the end of my deployment here, everyone is either parting with firearms to buy new ones and im buying them up with the extra deployment cash, anyway, one a of my buddies has a decked out modified remington 1100, that im looking to buy from him, he said it doesnt always cycle skit loads (typical three gun shells) my other 1100 cycles all shells fine. what can we do to fix it or do you think it could just be the shells he used (unknown) at this time.

Re: question about remington 1100 not cycling

Probably in the gas system. Grunge and/or O-Ring deterioration can cause gas leakage and diminish the power stroke.

Different loads provide different operating pressures, and can compromise a gas operating system that's a little off the optimal already.

Not super familiar with 1100's; is there any gas system adjustment available?

Greg

I have an 1187 that requires me to manually charge when using light dove loads.

It cycles fine with high base or duck loads.

try some high base shells.

the gas system on these are known to be finicky

k thanks for the info, i never had a problem with my 1100 hunting shotgun and want this one solely for 3 gun so it needs to be able to shoot the cheapo skeet loads, my other shotgun all ive ever shot through it are pheasant loads, thanks for the info. i guess ill wait and try some bigger shells.

thanks guys

josh

The rem 1100 will not cycle 1oz loads. Period. Must 1 1/8 to fx all the time.

thanks for the help. got another question i was thinking about, so this gun started as a hunting shotgun i believe and has the interchangable chokes for the barrel. is it ok to shoot slugs through a choke. i need to be able to shoot regular shells, buchshot, and slugs for the matches, so can one choke do it all or do i need a regular tac shotgun barrel. i dont have to worry about it with my 870 and dont shoot anything but hunting loads through my hunting shotty.

thanks again

josh

Check your 1100 to see if it's a magnum. The magnum barrels have 1 gas port, the 2 3/4" have 2. The magnum guns will not run light loads without modification. If it's a magnum barrel, the gas orifice can be opened up to allow operation of 2 3/4", but then if you shoot 3" through it, it will beat the gun up. Magnums also have an "M" at the end of the ser.#. I know alot of guys that shoot 1100's in trap and run 1oz. loads, but their gas ports have been modified to do so.

Go here http://www.remington.com/pdfs/om/om_11001187.pdf and make sure the pieces are in the correct position. And they like to be wet with oil. And yes a 1100 non mag will shoot 1oz loads. I have one that has seen 11 skeet seasons and the only time it would not cycle was when I was in a hurry and did not put the piston facing the right direction or I left the area too dry after cleaning.

I used a 1187 for 4 years shooting 3 gun and here is what I learned. First shoot the 1 1/8 loads at at least 1200fps.
When I went to big money matchs I ran the the 1250fps loads to ensure that I had no problems.
I had to open up the gas ports a little to make sure it ran better when it gets dirty.
Next run it WET with oil, I used 10/30 Mobil 1.
Make sure the magazine spring is good if it is weak it will cause malfunctions.
Keep it clean and change out the O ring occasionaly.
Keep an eye on all of the internal parts, if anything looks worn replace it. Brownells carries all of parts you will need.
As far as slugs go I ran a modified choke with no issues.

Hope this helps.

same here i had an 1100 that refused to cycle light target loads,i had to get rid of it,i could not afford the stuff that it liked.

+1 for gun-rx
Check the gas ports in the barrel. Use a pen drill to clean up the opening. If one is clogged light loads won't go.
Rob

thanks for all the info. im gonan go ahead and pick it up so. run it wet and clean. with at least 1 1/8 loads, and modified choke for shooting shot and slugs. thanks for the info guys. is there a chart or something that says what types of shot/slugs can be useed with what. because i would like to hunt coyotes with it in the thick stuff, with 00buck what type of choke for this. still modified i would like to have a tighter pattern for longer range, silly questions maybe not much of a shotgunner, other than birds and my 870 is smooth bore so no issues with anything

thanks guys

josh