• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about resizing fired pistol brass

Mwalex

Private
Minuteman
  • Jun 8, 2011
    I have recently bought 2K rounds of .40 S&W range brass for reloading. This is the first time reloading pistol brass. The process so far:

Deprime
    Wet tumble with stainless media
    Resize - RCBS carbide die
    Check with a Wilson gauge

There was a decent amount of brass that would not gauge to my liking after resizing. Bought a Redding G-RX die for Glock bulge and re-ran the marginal brass and about 25% was still “sticky” in the gauge. Visually it looked like burring around the case mouth. I took a few pieces of brass, deburred them and they gauged just fine.

Has anyone else ran into a similar issue?

Thanks in advance.

Peening from the SS media?

You're taper crimping I'd assume? I'd load a couple dummy rounds and crimp them and see how they are.

A "common practice" is to take the barrel out and drop dummy rounds in it and make sure they "plunk" and fall in without resistance.

I'm a new pistol loader so I'm sure more experienced loaders will respond. I haven't ran into the glock buldge but sounds like your issue is maybe peened Case mouths..taper crimping might smooth that out. Maybe.

Reactions: Barryd and Mwalex
    Peening from the SS media?

You're taper crimping I'd assume? I'd load a couple dummy rounds and crimp them and see how they are.

A "common practice" is to take the barrel out and drop dummy rounds in it and make sure they "plunk" and fall in without resistance.

I'm a new pistol loader so I'm sure more experienced loaders will respond. I haven't ran into the glock buldge but sounds like your issue is maybe peened Case mouths..taper crimping might smooth that out. Maybe.
    I was leaning toward SS peening and it is possible to not effect the entire batch of brass, I suppose.

I am going to taper crimp and have considered doing the barrel test but I would be checking on three barrels. That is easy enough to do.

Reactions: Ledzep
    I dont use gauges for the most part. I just grab a barrel and see if the loaded round drops in and out.

However I avoid wet tumbling pistol brass and I also roll size all my brass before each reload.

I load alot of pistol ammo, mostly 9mm. I also invite people to my range to shoot for the brass sometimes. So i shoot a real mixed bag of pistol ammo. I deprime, reprime, drop powder and expand the case slightly with the powder drop die, seat bullet, and crimp. I check my rounds in my barrel.

Reactions: Mwalex
    I have recently bought 2K rounds of .40 S&W range brass for reloading. This is the first time reloading pistol brass. The process so far:

Deprime
    Wet tumble with stainless media
    Resize - RCBS carbide die
    Check with a Wilson gauge

There was a decent amount of brass that would not gauge to my liking after resizing. Bought a Redding G-RX die for Glock bulge and re-ran the marginal brass and about 25% was still “sticky” in the gauge. Visually it looked like burring around the case mouth. I took a few pieces of brass, deburred them and they gauged just fine.

Has anyone else ran into a similar issue?

Thanks in advance.
    If the cases are too long, they will not gauge properly, some cases may have to be trimmed to the proper length .

Last edited:
    If the cases are too long, the will not gauge properly, some cases may have to be trimmed to the proper length .
    I have found that there is very little expantion in strait wall pistol case rounds. I have honestly never had to trim pistol brass that wasnt necked.

Reactions: dzander
    Like ppl have said check on the barrel of gun you intend to use.
    If they drop in & out without issueLoad up 10-20 and test fire.

If all is well, go bonkers. Pistol reloading is an escape from the rigors of rifle reloading for me. Set up the Dillon & crank them out!

You dont need the SS media, just wet tumble with soap it comes out fine.
    AS long the ammo can fall in and out of the chamber it should be good.

I don’t bother with case gauges.
    I use the barrel it will be fired in.
    I also just lightly tumble in lizard bedding.

I don’t bother with case gauges.
    I use the barrel it will be fired in.
    I also just lightly tumble in lizard bedding.
    When i load .357 wadcutters i use the lee powder scoop for 9mm to drop powder lol. Only time i ever use a powder dipper lol.

I reload a lot of mixed range pick-up brass (45 acp). I do toss cases with the glock bulge, though. I've never used a case gauge and never had one fail to chamber correctly.

Tumble in corncob,
    Deprime/size (dillon die),
    Bell case mouth/powder drop (dillon),
    Seat (Redding),
    Lee factory crimp die.

The case gauge will tell you if the resizing die is set properly, and if the case needs to be trimmed. I’ve used them over the years for pistol, revolver and rifle handloads .

I am going to taper crimp and have considered doing the barrel test but I would be checking on three barrels. That is easy enough to do.
    I use the barrel with the tightest chamber as my gauge. At one time I had 6 9mm barrels. Currently the tightest is from a Gen 5 G19.

Thanks all. I pulled a couple of barrels and checked the “sticky” brass for fit.