• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

question about Sac Valley Shooting Center...

cali_tz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2010
NorCal
anyone shot at the 1000yd range... do they have steel targets?
If you have shot at the 300 yard range, same question, and if you shoot paper at these distances, can you see the holes with your spotting scope?

When I shoot at these distances, I am usually shooting at painted steel so it's easy to see and hear the hits.

thx.

Re: question about Sac Valley Shooting Center...

the 1k yard range is paper targets only. there is also a 500 meter steel range. only paper targets are allowed at the 300 yard range. on a good day, hits can be seen with a quality rifle scope. they would probably be able to be seen on almost any day with a quality spotting scope.

norcal practical precision rifle club has monthly matches and practice sessions at both the steel range and the 1k range as well as several other events throughout the year. for more information on ncpprc: http://ncpprc.com/

thanks, the club link was helpful too.

I had trouble seeing the 300 yard paper target holes with my spotting scope... maybe I need something with better optics.
@1000 it would seem impossible even with good spotting optics to see a 308 hole.

the 1000 yard range uses manned pits. depending on the range, a 3/4", 3" or 5" spotter is placed in the hole from your shot by the person working your target in the pits so you can see where you are at. even with a 10x scope, the spotters can be seen at 1k.

during our 1000 yard practices and matches, you pair up with another shooter. one person works the target for the first relay while the other shoots. after the first relay, they switch.

ah, i see... thanks for the explanation.

We also usually put 3/4" round white stickers over the holes after pulling the spotter. Some glass can see those at 1k if there isn't much mirage.