• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about SD's and ES's

jambau

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2010
PA
Do you normally see the ES's and SD's slowly improve or can they jump right to spectacular? I just ran a test with a new powder/bullet combo that was running high teens low 20's for the first 4 strings of 10. Then, in the last string 3/10ths of a grain higher, fell to an ES of 4 . I can't remember such a drastic change. I'll likely run that load again for peace of mind but wanted to get some expert opinions.

I had to leave the range in a hurry and forgot to retrieve my targets. I recall most being around 3/4 to 1" at 100yds but I'll still need to play with seating depth and primer once I confirm my powder charge.

I'd say most likely anomaly, but never know. If you really want to know what is real, do 25 shots. 5x 5 shot groups. That will give your "real" SDES speeds.

10/25 is fine. 6/12 is nice, but honestly, in a 25 shot test, expect 12/30.

Agreed. Today I'm loading up a string of 25 for testing this weekend. Would really be awesome if the numbers hold up. Most of my other set ups run in the teens and I'm fine with that. It's rare that I get to shoot past 1k so i don't waste time and components looking for "holy grail" loads. But I'd certainly be ok if it settled in single digits.

Reactions: iceng
An ES of 4 in a 10 shot string would indicate a SD of 2 or less is extremely unlikely. Just random errors are likely to give higher numbers. Are you sure the chronograph picked up all shots?

You are correctly planning on retesting.

The more rounds sampled the higher the ES will go while the SD will change much less as ES is defined by two extreme values and are less representative in a larger sample.

Reactions: Ledzep
Sorry everyone! I just realized I screwed up my original post. I'm talking about my SD numbers not ES. The SD dropped to 4 with 3/10ths of a grain more powder.

Assuming a sample size of 10 and a SD of 4, you have entered “The Twilight Zone” of Statistics! I would be surprised if it’s real, but even if it is, I’d be even more surprised if its repeatable.

Most chronographs are at best 0.1% accuracy. At 2500 fps, that’s a +/- 2.5 fps accuracy on each measurement. So the best SD its reasonable to expect about 1.25 fps if all velocities were the same. To load 6 rounds to +/-4 fps of the mean and another 3 or 4 to +/- 8 fps is possible but not probable.

The predicted 95% confidence interval for this SD is 2.8 to 7.3 for a larger population. If you test again and your SD is in this range you know its likely real.

Good luck!

Those are similar numbers to what I got using Hornady black factory ammo 140 gr 6.5cm. Not great but good enough for PRS type shooting.

77 gr SMK w/ 23.8 gr H4895 14.4” barrel. Not awesome but decent in a gas gun. About 1 MOA.
A51E8A9D-602A-4645-B72D-D3E82116B8A4.jpeg

Reactions: Doom and iceng
@Doom Thank you for the knowledge bomb. I wish we could get everyone on the Hide to understand that until you accurately define the variance around the mean using a meaningful sample size, the mean is meaningless (no pun intended).

Guys are wasting time and components chasing phantom numbers that aren’t real.

A start would be to accept that flat spots don’t exist until you reach high pressures. So stop looking for them.

Dumbo’s feather

Reactions: Baron23