• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about spotting scope FFP reticle focus

gunslinger

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2003
Italy
I've been testing a spotting scope with MIL reticle on the FFP.
I've never used a spotter with reticle before, so bear with me if this is a dumb question for many here, but here what puzzled me:
- I've focused the reticle with the diopter ring as I'd do with a rifle scope
- I've focused the image in the scope with the focus ring
All was neat and crisp.
Then I zoomed... and had to refocus the image, as usual, but I also had to refocus the reticle. 🤔
This doesn't happen with a rifle scope, but a spotter scope has a different optical layout, I believe, with both focus rings behind the reticle, so perhaps this is normal?
Or is my scope defective?

Once you focus your reticle correctly you should be good...Done. Now the question is did you focus it correctly? Use the sky or a light background. Once focused, step away from the scope, come back to it and look through it, the reticle should be sharp the second you look through it. Don't wait a few seconds or your eye will try and focus it on its own.

Also how old are you. I have found now that I am getting older 50, my eyes focus in and out a bit and it takes longer for a good sight picture.

Best of luck.

Reactions: gunslinger
Once you focus your reticle correctly you should be good...Done. Now the question is did you focus it correctly? Use the sky or a light background. Once focused, step away from the scope, come back to it and look through it, the reticle should be sharp the second you look through it. Don't wait a few seconds or your eye will try and focus it on its own.

Also how old are you. I have found now that I am getting older 50, my eyes focus in and out a bit and it takes longer for a good sight picture.

Best of luck.
Yep, focused correctly against a clear sky, as I do with all my rifle scopes, never had such an issue before. Looks like there is something off with the scope then.

Thats all I got lol.....perhaps an e mail or a call to the manufacturer with your question.

Reactions: gunslinger
I've been testing a spotting scope with MIL reticle on the FFP.
I've never used a spotter with reticle before, so bear with me if this is a dumb question for many here, but here what puzzled me:
- I've focused the reticle with the diopter ring as I'd do with a rifle scope
- I've focused the image in the scope with the focus ring
All was neat and crisp.
Then I zoomed... and had to refocus the image, as usual, but I also had to refocus the reticle. 🤔
This doesn't happen with a rifle scope, but a spotter scope has a different optical layout, I believe, with both focus rings behind the reticle, so perhaps this is normal?
Or is my scope defective?
Ah...what scope do you have that has a separate "diopter" (ocular, yeah) and image focus controls???

Contacted the manufacturer, the scope was indeed defective, they have organized pickup by courier and I'll soon get a new one.

Reactions: DustBun