• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Question about SS10x42MQ glass quality

dk-1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2007
Central, Ca.
I just got one of the new SS10x42MQ and noticed the glass has a lot of reflection in it while in low light. Daytime, the image is crystal clear and surprisingly good, but at dusk/dawn it seems to be reflecting light which is washing out the image. I was wondering if this is normal, if so the scope was still a good purchase for the money, but if I got a "bad" one I will contact SWFA about it. What I am describing might be chromatic aboration, but not entirely sure.

Re: Question about SS10x42MQ glass quality

Did you get a sunshade for it? I have noticed a big difference in mine when looking towards a low sun, with a sunshade on.

No sunshade, yet. If it truly helps I will get one. I have one for a 40mm Mk4 that I can try, it won't screw on but I can hold it up to it.

I assume billy means a sunshade in the front, as he noticed an improvement when looking towards the sun. If you have a reflection coming from the back and reflecting on the ocular, that wont help.
You would need a sunshade for the ocular, but maybe even some butler creek style flip ups that aren't too snug will work as well.

Try the Mk-4 sunshade. Use some duct tape to hold it on, I bet you will see an improvement. An ARD will also make a difference in those conditions.

I noticed the same thing with mine never had good luck in low light with it either. A sunshade and experimenting with different positions behind the rifle helped but it still wasn't great.