• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about switch barrel setup

pdogdown

Sergeant
Minuteman
I am wondering about my .260AI build being turned into a switch barrel. I was shooting at a buddies and he told me about a guy that had a surgeon integral action (the recoil lug is integral) and that guy had a vise setup that he could plug into his truck's receiver hitch, pull out a barrel vise, and swap out in the field in about 5-10 minutes taking his time with out taking the barreled action out of the stock. I guess he had something setup on the barrel and action so when screwing it in, it would have the same stop point everytime.

I have a stiller tac30. The stock is a B&C tactical medalist with the full aluminum bedding block. What would I have to do to safely setup as a switch barrel or is it possible with intergral recoil lug?

I am assuming bedding would have to stop short of the barrel area so I'd be smart not to go with the heaviest possible barrels.

I want to be able to speak half way intelligently about this before I talk to my smith about the idea or ordering a second barrel.

Re: Question about switch barrel setup

Well, its best done with a receiver that has a integral recoil lug, such as the Surgeon, Badger M2008, Win, CZ, etc. You could have the recoil lug pinned on your Stiller action, but it would be wise to start over vs tearing apart a working custom rifle.

I like the "idea" of the switch barrel, but I dont see a lot of practical use for it. I have a Surgeon action on the way, and considered making a switch barrel 6x47L/308win, most likely wont go the switch barrel route.

I see ur intrested in the switch gun approach i just completed mine i used the savage action and then customized it trued the action and added a comp trigger a ss .250 recoil lug and a custom PT&G bolt ground and fluted set it in a richards microfit stock bedded and all it has 7 different cal in the same contoured barrel profile so there all the same just takes a savage nut wrench and a pop and ur on and off shooting a different cal so far its been a super gun
Wilpenny

Switch barrel rifles are a great idea and concept. Doing it is another thing. Its a huge pain in the ass. I have a 260/308 switch barrel and it doesnt get switched at all. I had a 6x47 for it as well and sold it off since it doesnt ever get switched. Youd be better off to just build 2 guns. Everything you keep up with for switching barrels is a pain

Don't know about non-military calibers, but DTA system, Accuracy International system are designed to do so without the hassle. I am trying to simplify my life.

I have a Badger M2008 that I can swap out barrels in about 10 minutes. I've gone between the 308 and 6.5 CM barrel several times in the last year or so it's not that big of a pain.

So is the key to have the recoil lug pinned, action firmly bedded, free of bedding around the barrel, a way to secure the rifle and a barrel vise, have both barrels chambered at the same time up front with a way of indicating so the headspace will always be the same when putting on the other barrel?

Are their other considerations?

I have a savage 12 in .223 that I am gonna chop an inch off and AI'z and thought about the barrel nut barrel swap for a second barrel like a deep throated .223 1:6.5 for my wife to shoot some 90s with.

Your on the right track.

Call

American Precision Arms
Louisiana Precision Arms
Robert Gradous

all three are great gunsmiths with great customer service!