• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about swtich barrel caliber possibilities..

Hawk Gunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2007
Mobile, AL
I've looked a good bit through the older threads and can't seem to find a definite answer and my search-FU is kind of weak since they changed the site software. With the new actions out there is it possible to get an action that will do .308/.260 as well as (?)WSM with a bolt/barrel change?

I'm hesitant to get a DTA without being able to shoot one first and I can't swing an AI PSR right now. I've got an LTR and 7mm Mag for hunting and a Badger 2008 .308/.260 set up but its a HEAVY bitch. I'd love to get a new build that I could consolidate down to 1 rifle, is it possible?

Yes I've been researching the same I would recomend using a good custom action like defiance or surgeon will make bolt changing less of an issue

Awesome thanks for clarifying that. Is one better suited for this type of build? I'd really like to keep running AW mags on the 308/260 calibers. I'll start shopping around to see which smiths may have one in stock.

When I pre-ordered my Badger 2013, which came standard with a .473" bolt, I also ordered a magnum .535" bolt to go with it.

With Alpha mags (yuck! But they "work") you can load comfortably out to 2.950". I know there've been some whiz-bang DBM arrangements (ala Seekins) that allow for longer. 3.050" I believe, but those are discontinued and no longer available. Perhaps there's another I'm not thinking of.

Still, a 7WSM, 7-300WSM, 7SAUM or 6.5SAUM would be killer even loaded only to 2.950" COAL.

That all said, I personally think "switch barrel" rifles are neat in theory, but that's about it. One might think they'll just screw the 308 barrel on for range days, then screw the 243/260 barrel on for matches, and the 7WSM barrel for ELR use. In reality however, I think it proves more trouble than you really want to mess with...

Will you be 100% confident of your zero when you screw barrel "X" on? Even though the zero repeated a couple times before, will it THIS time?

Would you be better off practicing a lot with just a 243, and burning out barrels, or having an "ideal" cartridge for each possible shooting need?

That all said, I personally think "switch barrel" rifles are neat in theory, but that's about it. One might think they'll just screw the 308 barrel on for range days, then screw the 243/260 barrel on for matches, and the 7WSM barrel for ELR use. In reality however, I think it proves more trouble than you really want to mess with...

This is my opinion of a switch barrel. I have thought about it plenty of times but I like knowing that when I grab a rifle to go shoot, it will be sighted in and ready to go.

Thanks for the feedback, I've been using the switch barrel .308//.260 on the badger. It does have it's pros and cons for sure. But it's a 15lb rifle and too heavy for anything other than range use. The safe is getting full and the wife is urging me to upgrade/consolidate vs buying another safe. So I'm trying to take advantage of her momentary lapse in judgement and get something better than my current setups.

Hawk Gunner,

I don't think you will be disappointed in DTA. So, if that's what you're looking for in a switch barrel, they'll be a great route to take.

As far as switch barrels in general, they take more tracking of zeros than one would normally have to encounter with one rifle. However, each rifle I own has it's own unique quirks. So, the only thing really different is you track from your base barrel zero, to what ever zero the barrel you have on has. There is a point when changing barrels/calibers (and heads/bolts) that you have to check. Just track it from the time you get it. Switching is no problem if you've documented what you've proven out.

Suggestion: Get another cheap safe. Keep it in your "man-room"/shop/territory. Throw your cheap jackrabbit killers/huntin' beaters in there. At the same time, use her lack of understanding of just how bad you are going to overspend to get the BEST piece of equipment you can buy.

As far as switching barrels, I've found that matching up bases and using 1or 2 of my best scopes works about as good. I think I need more scopes now though.

I have a switch barrel rifle that I use as a comp gun for F-class built off a stiller predator single shot action. It takes about 9 minutes to change the barrel and the POI for each barrel is within a half MOA repeatedly so I just log the different zeroes above the mechanical zero and within one shot I have my zero established at whatever range I am shooting at.

Yes it may be a little hassle but it worth it to get three calibers out of one action, stock, and a NightForce scope.