• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

question about teaching a new shooter who has quirky eyes.

thejeep

Psychosomatic Long Covid+
Minuteman
  • Aug 30, 2008
    New York City
    So i am teaching someone to shoot who is right handed, right eye dominate, but can not close her left eye and keep the right one open. So that leaves us with shooting both eyes open, right handed correct?

What type of shooting are you concentrating on? scoped rifle, rifle with open sights, shotgun, pistol?
    As stated above, both eyes open is optimum for most things, but I will still close an eye when I feel it's giving me a better sight picture. I can close either eye without effort and I only close it long enough to do what I need then go back to both open. If you're seeing a reduction in accuracy that you feel is related to her sight picture, and you feel that THAT is attributed to both eyes open, try an eye patch on the left eye.
    We had Marine recruits with similar issues use them where necessary, and if you look at competition smallbore rifle shooters, there are blinders on their rifles serving the same purpose.
    Is it optimum, probably not, but if it makes shooting more enjoyable for someone new to the sport, then the positives are way ahead of any negatives.

The only area I'd say one eye closed is a real NO-GO is a pistol at "combat distance" which you can interpret how you like, but I'd say at least 7yds from target and in both eyes open for a new shooter and as far as they can still score hits if possible.

Last edited:
    I actually use a Clint Eastwood squint....compromise between eyes open and one closed.

Plus you don't see anyone telling Clint how to shoot.
    gran-torino-trailer-gun-img_zps813e16b0.jpg

I do the same. Both eyes open does not work for me.

AWESOME
    I probably squint more than actually close an eye now that I think about it, although my squint isn't a weapon in itself like Clint's.