• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about vortex razor Gen ii

DesertScout23

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2013
Should I be able to zero my rifle at 100 yards with this optic, if I have a mount that has 20 MOA built in?

My goal is to shoot 800-1000 yards with 6.5cm.

I just did ar10 build. Used a laser boresight and I seem bottomed out on my elevation with the boresight laser riding 8 MOA high against an object that’s 30 yards away. At 100 yards there should be even a greater disparity right?

Hitting your zero stop?

You need to know your scope's total vertical specification. How much travel from top to bottom.

Then wherever your are bottomed out right now. You can dial up counting the revolutions up. Then knowing how many mils/moa per rev plus the left over on the last turn. So 2 revs at 10 mils per Rev is 20 mils plus the remaining 2.2 means you currently have 22.2 mils for example.

Then you look at the total travel specification lists say (making up a number here)....30 mils of total vertical travel. So 30 minus 22.2 is 7.8 unaccounted for. So now know you are in fact hitting your zero stop. Because there is 7.8 below where your zero stop is set.

If you had 30 Mils....then you are in fact bottomed at the bottomed of your travel.

There ya go.

A 20 MOA mount is worth 5.8 mils. Just basically saying the same thing in two different increments.

On a flat rail you should roughly be in the center of your total travel. So in the example provided....your typical 100yd zero should leave you with 15 mils up and 15 mils down. You plop on a 20 MOA rail (or basically a 5.8 rail)....you make it so now sit with 20 mils up and 10 mils down. The total travel doesn't change. Just the amount of you have access to. It's now 20 up instead of 15.

I don't know the total travel spec for every scope. So this is an easy path for you to get your answer for yourself.

I would say you should be able to zero as 20 MOA is not much really. But that doesn't mean other issues can't cause your zeros position to be off in the travel eating up or even giving back travel. Things like tolerance stacking of individual parts.

Ditch the laser. Pulll the upper off the lower and eye all down the bore at paper target at 100. And shoot at 100. I've seen more of those POS laser leave the guy pulling his hair out.

Last edited:
Reactions: DesertScout23
3EF13972-2E83-4590-8C9F-19A41E6A4FFA.jpeg

Just zeroed my G2 Razor 4.5-27x on my 6.5CM Seekins SP10 last weekend. Had zero issues getting it zeroed at 100yds.

Did you by chance have your Razor mounted to a different rifle…and have the zero stop adjusted for it? You know how the turrets work correct? You have to take off the cap, loosen the turret bell set screws, and turn the interior dial to get your zero.

Read the instruction manual so you can learn how the scope works.

Right. The LTEC turret needs to be zero'd with the internal adjuster, not by turning the dial. It's in the manual. There are YouTube videos on it too.

Reactions: DesertScout23
You'll be fine with the 20 MOA mount and it's super easy to zero the vortex keep the turret at zero, loosen up the set screws on the vertical turret and remove the top cap then zero your scope by adjusting that center screw.

View attachment 8043478

Just zeroed my G2 Razor 4.5-27x on my 6.5CM Seekins SP10 last weekend. Had zero issues getting it zeroed at 100yds.

Did you by chance have your Razor mounted to a different rifle…and have the zero stop adjusted for it? You know how the turrets work correct? You have to take off the cap, loosen the turret bell set screws, and turn the interior dial to get your zero.
No it’s a new scope and has not been mounted on any other rifle. And I have not adjusted turret bell set screws or turned interior dials.

Thank you guys. I think I was getting ahead of myself. I’ll read more of the manual and let you know how it goes. Didn’t realize that setting zero was different for this optic.