• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about which size action for TAC408

tripingram

Grease Monkey
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2017
Hudson, MA
What advantage is there going with the 1.60 action vs. the 1.45? Do you have to stay close to the action diameter with barrel blanks?

What advantage is there going with the 1.60 action vs. the 1.45? Do you have to stay close to the action diameter with barrel blanks?
1. The 1.60 action will balloon less with high-pressure cartridges. (Not that the 1.45 is unsafe, it just has less margin with the same material.) Also, a larger action diameter often has a larger tenon which means the barrel breech itself will balloon less, the chamber will expand less, and brass will be easier to extract. We’re talking thousandths of an inch, by the way, not anything obscene.

2. No, the barrel blank restriction is that it must be at least ~0.15” larger than the major diameter of the tenon to have a shoulder that allows for a good and robust bolted joint connection between barrel and receiver.

Your best bet is always to go bigger stronger more accurate stiffer and future options if you dont short your self. pierce 10x one of if not the best is my suggestion. But of corse my view only the best to hell with the rest.

More meat is good when you’re lighting off a dump truck of powder at 60k + psi.
The big action requires a thicker barrel I believe to get the tenon and shoulder right but I think they recently Changed that action so I could be wrong on that.

Last edited:
I went with the 1.6" TAC 408 for my 375 build and installed a a 36" 1.45" barrel on it.

375 SnipeTAC.jpg

go with the 1.6, with that boltface