• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question - Affiliate Links

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Ok, I have a question,

Every single day I get requests to host an affiliate link, they all claim it's great, but so far the few times I have tried it, never worked, like nothing worked, not a single dime was made by a single link on SH.

So my questions:

1. Would you use them to buy products, (As an example, I have MHSA Links)

2. What would be the best way to present them where they get used ?

3. Is it better to make it plain language or to mix it in with a post that just has a word hyperlinked ?

They all say, make a post, add in the link but in a way it's not obvious, basically they want you to create Click Bait Content to convince you to use it ?

Would a stuck post with a list of links by category work ? or something else ?

More and more companies want to offer you links to use vs paying for advertising and they all claim it's better ( I have yet to see it) so if we want to navigate this moving forward what do you all think about it ?

I can get links in for a lot to stuff, but again you have to use the link for it to work. I personally would rather a Discount Code that they can track where you get a discount and we get credit, and some will create a discount code, but in my mind if you get 5% to 10% off and we get credit that would be best, but these affiliate groups have convinced everyone it's great cause it's no money for them, and we become their salesman

They get free advertising just from the posting of their links, but they're only paying Frank/SH when people use those specific links- and we all know people may not use the link at that time but the advertiser's name imprinted on viewers' brains and got out there regardless- so in the end they got the free advertising they were after and Frank/SH got squat. Just MHO.

Trust your instincts and use discount codes that give SH credit.

Yep. Trust your instinct Frank. If they are that sure they can profit from a relationship with you and get the additional advertising, they'll work with you to do things your way.

Your site. Your Burger King (have it your way).

Direct vendor link with code in the URL or a standalone code. Many affiliate services like the crap arfcom uses get broken by adblocking or script security settings.

Reactions: WaltHer
    More and more companies want to offer you links to use vs paying for advertising and they all claim it's better ( I have yet to see it) so if we want to navigate this moving forward what do you all think about it ?

I can get links in for a lot to stuff, but again you have to use the link for it to work. I personally would rather a Discount Code that they can track where you get a discount and we get credit, and some will create a discount code, but in my mind if you get 5% to 10% off and we get credit that would be best, but these affiliate groups have convinced everyone it's great cause it's no money for them, and we become their salesman

Discount codes are way more likely to actually bring in income to SH and also be something people can see the advantage of and use.

"Affiliate Links" are nice in theory, but very hard to actually prove and get paid for.

Did the person buy it on that visit, or put it in their cart then later on come back and buy it when they made up their mind etc?

I'd say the average shopper of something big probably sees something, puts it in a cart and goes away to think about it and then might visit the website later on directly to finish the purchase.

Also most folks will run quite a few tracker prevention and fraud / script protection stuff on their browsers today due to the cesspit that is the interwebs.
    So affiliate codes often get stripped out.

But a discount code you give out will be kept and used & is easier to have an audit trail.

I'd have never bought knee high white stripper boots if it wasn't for you so I'll be forever grateful.
    I can directly credit my closet full of Ugg’s to Frank

Edit: I’d be much more likely to use a discount code than remember to use a link from the site

Last edited:
    Reactions: nikerret
    Yep. Trust your instinct Frank. If they are that sure they can profit from a relationship with you and get the additional advertising, they'll work with you to do things your way.

Your site. Your Burger King (have it your way).
    My thoughts entirely.
    Without being unreasonable, get it your way, no way I would let someone under my professional cape without financially benefitting from it.

Anyone who asks for something free, make them pay double

Reactions: 1911hombre
    Discount codes are the only way to make sure you get your credit. Links are fine, when people use them. If they click, visit, then go back and buy without re routing through here you did the company a favor but dont get your rip. I would stick with codes if you want to be sure to get yours.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
    Discount codes are way more likely to actually bring in income to SH and also be something people can see the advantage of and use.

"Affiliate Links" are nice in theory, but very hard to actually prove and get paid for.

Did the person buy it on that visit, or put it in their cart then later on come back and buy it when they made up their mind etc?

I'd say the average shopper of something big probably sees something, puts it in a cart and goes away to think about it and then might visit the website later on directly to finish the purchase.

Also most folks will run quite a few tracker prevention and fraud / script protection stuff on their browsers today due to the cesspit that is the interwebs.
    So affiliate codes often get stripped out.

But a discount code you give out will be kept and used & is easier to have an audit trail.

^ Bingo.

The average online retail shopping cart abandonment rate is about 70%. #1 reason not to use an affiliate link.

Discount codes are applied when an item is purchased and simple to prove how the referral was made. I manage our online pharmacy for our clinic and go this route.

My thoughts entirely.
    Without being unreasonable, get it your way, no way I would let someone under my professional cape without financially benefitting from it.

Anyone who asks for something free, make them pay double

Agree, f’em if they don’t like it.

THIS IS SH-ARTA!!

IMG_5455.gif

Reactions: 1911hombre
    I’d prefer discount codes to affiliate links.

We have a photography side hustle. Affiliate links never worked for our site or clients. Discount codes work better; not perfect but better.

-john

Ok, I have a question,

Every single day I get requests to host an affiliate link, they all claim it's great, but so far the few times I have tried it, never worked, like nothing worked, not a single dime was made by a single link on SH.

So my questions:

1. Would you use them to buy products, (As an example, I have MHSA Links)

2. What would be the best way to present them where they get used ?

3. Is it better to make it plain language or to mix it in with a post that just has a word hyperlinked ?

They all say, make a post, add in the link but in a way it's not obvious, basically they want you to create Click Bait Content to convince you to use it ?

Would a stuck post with a list of links by category work ? or something else ?

Frank, to me affiliate codes are like accepting a percentage on net versus gross. They’ll screw you every time.

And the hell with burying the link in txt so people can’t see where they are jumping to.

I agree that discount codes are far more desirable from a buyer’s POV but…that doesn’t provide monetary benefit to you/SH, does it.

Cheers

Discount codes for sure.

Maybe a pinned thread. That way if someone falls off they can be removed. That was sorta what I was trying to do with the Optics Vendor thread that I started. Support the Commercial Supporters that keep this place running. Did that after the liberty debacle.

I agree that discount codes are far more desirable from a buyer’s POV but…that doesn’t provide monetary benefit to you/SH, does it.

That depends, if you check in with some of the most popular and biggest earners that do the YouTube stuff most all of them have their own special discount codes for purchases from their sponsors.

Then they have an agreement with the sponsor to get a cut from each sale that uses that discount code.

The discount code is unique to the influencer and I'm assuming they have some trust relationship with the sponsor to honour the agreement for comission on the sales.

That depends, if you check in with some of the most popular and biggest earners that do the YouTube stuff most all of them have their own special discount codes for purchases from their sponsors.

Then they have an agreement with the sponsor to get a cut from each sale that uses that discount code.

The discount code is unique to the influencer and I'm assuming they have some trust relationship with the sponsor to honour the agreement for comission on the sales.
    Well, yeah…but then that works much like an affiliate code/link, no?

Well, yeah…but then that works much like an affiliate code/link, no?

It's a bit different in that even if the customer goes away and comes back later, if they use that code, it still counts.
    It's a lot more reliable and easier to audit.
    It doesn't rely on hoping that the correct link string got passed by the browser and such.

That being said, of course it's a bit of a trust game still as they could try to rip you off, but they would probably be out of SH pretty fast if they did that.
    If they didn't pay Frank he could just post saying, hey if you used this code, PM me a copy of your receipt and he'd have all the proof pretty fast if there was a question on if the sponsor was being fair about everything.

The only other way around that is to do what EV does and they pretty much broker the discounts themselves, collect the orders themselves and then pass the sponsor's cut of the money on to them and the order details.

Reactions: Baron23
    I'm no expert, I do use links and codes from the guy on YouTube; 704 tactical. He just announced he was going full-time YouTube. I bet if you reached out, he would offer up advice. Because of YouTube policies he uses an affiliate page that has all his deals on; https://campsite.bio/704tactical

I've bought plenty of stuff from LA Police Gear because of the discount code, and the recommendations.

Frank, you've been doing this longer than they have bro, and you are actually engaged with it. Discount codes for sure but more importantly, I've learned over the last 20 years that my gut has always been right, the only times I've had problems is when I didn't listen to it. That's because my business is what I know, just like you know yours.

Last edited:
    If they don't want to pay you directly, that means they don't respect you, want to use you, and think you are stupid enough to fall for their shenanigans.

Funk dat and funk the free advertising for them.

They either give you a cut of a discount code, or pay you directly for an ad.
    Put up or GTFO here.