• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question after range time today with my new stock

Target In Sight

Where my shots go?!?!?!
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2009
Cali
Hi all,

Finally, I was able to get an AICS 2.0 SA RH stock. Love it very much!! And I took it to the range this morning.

Condition:
It is not the same range I had my previous zero set up before changed to this stock. The altitude is much lower, temp., humidity, baro. pressure, are all different. Light, less than 3mile wind from 1 o'clock. Shooting prone with bipod and rearbag.

Log:
First 3 shots were a nice half inch group give and take, but it was 2MOA low and 1.5MOA to the right. Dialed it in and hit 2 in the center. Followed up with a 5 shot group at 100yard and another 5 shot group at 200yd before I did some dot drill practice. Both group did pretty well.

The AICS definitely feels much better than the factory HS stock, took me some time to get used to it at the range, and probably need more dry firing time to really get used to it. It is much more user friendly than the HS stock that came with the rifle from Remington.

Now comes the question:
I know the range/condition is different, and I am not used to this stock as I haven't practice with it yet. But would it caused the zero to shift that much from my previous set up?
I keep thinking since the scope is attached to the action, changing the stock should not effect the set zero. My weird logic have served me wrong many times before, and I am not surprised if I am wrong again. Apologize in advance if this is a dump/newb question.

"Does changing the stock requires re-zero your scope?"

Thank you all very much, here is a few pix from today at the range to enlighten my boring post
smile.gif

Dyl..

P1160044.jpg

P1160043.jpg

I couldn't get my head to be straight, and still haven't figured out how. At least it looks like my body is straight behind the rifle. The bipod never hopped, so I think its bipod approved.
smile.gif

P1160046.jpg

Re: Qestions after range time today with my new stock

torque values of the action screws might have caused you to have to rezero. the difference in ranges may have caused some as well

Thanks buddie, for such quick response. I did a search here and took the advise of torque it to 55inch/lbs, got home and check to make sure it did not come loose. I only fired 40 rounds today, so we will see how it holds up in the long run.

Dyl..

If the bedding is correct on both you should have minimal poi shift, even w/ diff range conditions. I would assume that neighter are bedd the both use a vee block style, I know they are both quality stocks and are able to produce good accuracy but they are not the same so going from 1 to the other is the prob. Did you accuracy change or stay the same, I would say if it stayed the same or inproved slightly remove the action and reinstall during a shooting session and if you develop a poi shift get it bedded!

me thinks by the looks of things in the picture.....you are fighting yourself a bit and may have a subtle parallax problem....and eye relief disconnect .

did the first outing and zero job get done off the bench ?
could be that now shooting prone the perceived POA/POI is way different.

And
you need to adjust the comb UP a bit so as to more align your face and eyeball with the ocular....you appear to "gooseneck" and or otherwise creep up on the glass in order to see the reticule,,,,leading to you not having a consistent cheek weld/bone lock.

this and what was stated above may all come together for a more consistent operation and smoother way of driving the rifle.

Thank you Sir.,

The zero before the stock change was established in prone position, and the POI did not change when I switch to different shooting position.

I do feel very uncomfortable from the neck up with the new stock, and stupid me was probably too excited and forgot about that I do have the adj. comb with this new stock... I noticed my neck was not straight, hence posted the picture, and now Im glad that I did, and really appreciate you taking a good look at the picture and help diagnose this problem.

I spent about 10 months trying to build correct form with the old stock, and practice dry firing with it. I now need to do the same and more with this new stock. So far I love it, and believe it should give me better result once I spend enough time behind it.

jbell, thank you for your advise too, I will have Randy to take a look at the stock for me the next time I send stuff to his way.

Appreciate all your valueable time and inputs.

Most kidnly regards,

Dyl..

The difference is due to different tension on the reciever between the different stocks; you have upgraded significantly, and I'd hazard the view that the differnce you're seeing is the result of a better stock/action interface. The original AICS chassis was known for repeatability of zero with removal/replacement of the scoped action. Yours will hopefully serve you similarly. Very nice looking rig.

And, uh, just a statement here, don't take it the wrong way, but dude, you need some new jeans, maybe some Levis or Wranglers, hell, even BDUs...
laugh.gif

The rifle stock and jeans are So "Euro". Very Hot. LOL Maybe a pair of wranglers with a skoal ring.

I didnt feel like reading eveyones post, but could have been as simple as constant check weld. That could have caused the shift right and the weather could have caused the elevation change.

Hahaha,

I was on business trip and did not get to check the new responses.

Thank you for the knowledge, and complements on both my gun and jeans. I know its a bit flashy, guess I am influenced by the Cali fashion. Maybe next time I will put on my Levis if I want to take pictures of my form again. Or have picture of my gf's butt when she shoots. True religion, or desel jeans okay? or does it have to be levis or wranglers?
smile.gif
well, she has nicer butts anyways guess jeans doesn't matter if its her picture.

As soon as it stops raining, I will hit the range again with the newly adjusted cheek weld and come back with more reports.

Cheers~

Dyl..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Target In Sight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hahaha,

I was on business trip and did not get to check the new responses.

Thank you for the knowledge, and complements on both my gun and jeans. I know its a bit flashy, guess I am influenced by the Cali fashion. Maybe next time I will put on my Levis if I want to take pictures of my form again. <span style="font-weight: bold"> Or have picture of my gf's butt when she shoots</span>. True religion, or desel jeans okay? or does it have to be levis or wranglers?
smile.gif
well, she has nicer butts anyways guess jeans doesn't matter if its her picture.

As soon as it stops raining, I will hit the range again with the newly adjusted cheek weld and come back with more reports.

Cheers~

Dyl..

</div></div>

Yeah, that would be nice
laugh.gif

Are those womens pants or just a Kalifornia thing?

Designer jeans, who says you can't shoot with fashion? :p

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Target In Sight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or have picture of my gf's butt when she shoots.</div></div>
The Hide has a place jsut for these pics!

Hot Girlfriends Thread

GM