• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question: Angular Resolution of The POA Dots On Burris Eliminator 5 and Eliminator 6

Milirad

Still Learning
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2012
Nevada
Does anyone know the angular resolution (spacing in mils or moa) between two adjacent firing solution red-dots that display the point of aim (poa) on the vertical crosshair for the Burris Eliminator 5 5-20x50 and/or soon to be released Burris Eliminator 6 4-20x52 LRF scopes?

To put it another way, I am asking for the mils or moa between one firing solution POA dot on the vertical crosshair and the very next firing solution POA dot that would light up lower on the tree as range is increased and the come up increases.

I ask because I have been thinking of getting one for a while, but the accuracy of the scope is limited to ½ the spacing between two adjacent dots reticle vertical crosshair. For example, if the spacing were 0.5 mil, then the worst case error induced by the resolution would be 0.25 mil, which would 4.5" at 500 yards, 9" at 1,000 yards, or just under 1 moa. I am hoping that the new Eliminator 6 4-20x52 will have resolution of quarter mil or better. Half mil is too much error to give up for long range shots.

I set an earlier version up for a friend. It did Ok out to 400 for a 6.5 CM, but I kept having to tweak it as I went out further even though I had an accurate velocity. I wouldn't have personally used it any farther than I'd use a simple duplex guessing the distance. :)
I'll take a separate rangefinder and a scope I can dial accurately every day of the week. And I can set it up in a few minutes and confirm the dope in less time as well.

What did Burris tell you when you called/emailed/chatted with customer support?
Yeah, you're probably right. I'll give the a call. Thought someone here might know. I haven't called Burris, but it usually takes a long time on the phone with a scope company to go up the escalation ladder to get to someone who actually knows the product instead of first line people who read from the standard script and provide stock answers to common questions. There's a very good chance the standard customer support script and Q/A doesn't have this one on the list, but I can probably eventually get to a product team member who does.

1/6 MOA on Eliminator 6. Not sure what it is on older scopes.
Thanks ILya! That's fine enough resolution for almost all needs. If the Eliminator 6 has the same mil-height tree as the Eliminator 5, it will be 9 mils tall at max magnification. With a 200 yard zero that's enough to get a 6.5 CM out to 1,000 yds and a 7 PRC out to 1,200 on max mag. I suppose you could decrease the mag to go further, and based on the user manual for the Eliminator 5 it looks like the 10 mph wind hold value in the display scales with magnification, so I think all the shooter needs to do is count hold dots not do any extra hold math based on actual magnification. However, it's going backwards to lower magnification at longer range. Even so, 1,000 to 1,200 yds is plenty for most real world applications. Simultaneous LRF and firing solution without coming off the scope or even needing to dial a turret is very compelling whenever time from detection to shot is important. If Burris has upgraded the Eliminator 6 optical quality to make it competitive with the next tier below alpha, and they price it competitively (as they normally do), I will definitely pick one up to try it out. Thanks again for all you do for us.

Last edited:
Thanks ILya! That's fine enough resolution for almost all needs. If the Eliminator 6 has the same mil-height tree as the Eliminator 5, it will be 9 mils tall at max magnification. With a 200 yard zero that's enough to get a 6.5 CM out to 1,000 yds and a 7 PRC out to 1,200 on max mag. I suppose you could decrease the mag to go further, and based on the user manual for the Eliminator 5 it looks like the 10 mph wind hold value in the display scales with magnification, so I think all the shooter needs to do is count hold dots not do any extra hold math based on actual magnification. However, it's going backwards to lower magnification at longer range. Even so, 1,000 to 1,200 yds is plenty for most real world applications. Simultaneous LRF and firing solution without coming off the scope or even needing to dial a turret is very compelling whenever time from detection to shot is important. If Burris has upgraded the Eliminator 6 optical quality to make it competitive with the next tier below alpha, and they price it competitively (as they normally do), I will definitely pick one up to try it out. Thanks again for all you do for us.
Does the Eliminator benefit from a rail mount that has 20, 40, 50 or 60 MOA inclination? For example, the Era-Tac adjustable inclination mount has 70 MOA, if I were to attach the Burris to the Era-Tac will that give me more elevation to shoot farther or does that only work for regular non-digital scopes?

Does the Eliminator benefit from a rail mount that has 20, 40, 50 or 60 MOA inclination? For example, the Era-Tac adjustable inclination mount has 70 MOA, if I were to attach the Burris to the Era-Tac will that give me more elevation to shoot farther or does that only work for regular non-digital scopes?

The Burris E6 user manual says one can use canted bases, rails, or mounts with this scope on page 11:

E6Zero.png

1/6 MOA on Eliminator 6. Not sure what it is on older scopes.

Good thing the turrets are just for setting zero as there would be a proportional disconnect if this scope were ever for dialing as the turrets adjust at 1/8 MOA (see page 11 of E6 user manual). See above post reply.

Seems there is a disconnect between the Burris Eliminator 6 user manual (1/8 moa turret adjustments) and Burris' official Eliminator 6's youtube debut if you go to time 1:14 in this video which seems to say 177 clicks of 1/5 moa:

@koshkin determined it to be 1/6 moa, as above, so maybe he will clarify.

Lots of improvements to gear and software with the new 6, I have 3 E3s a E4 and E5. Eliminators are good for making quick field shots out to about 1500. I’ll deffinately get a 6 but will have to be after I recoup play money after just picking up 2 NF ATACRs those go on my ELR rifles (1600 yards +) I run the vortex 4k impact and swap it from rifle to rifle.

I am betting on the fact they are nice, I just ordered one last night. I guess we will see. I have a Ruger Precision in 6.5 CM any ideas on which rings I should use. Just getting back into shooting after 15+ years and not sure whats new out there, yet.

I bought one and took it out calling coyotes in about 25f weather and after sitting there for about 5 minutes it wouldn’t range anything. Not even close like 50 yards. It would either say 101yards or range error. Once it warmed up it would range well beyond 1000. I sent it in for repair and they said it was unrepairable and sent me a new one. Got it today and it does the exact same thing. They are worthless for hunting if they won’t range after being out in 25f temps for awhile. The -4 the manual says is wrong and I hope they can fix this problem. They obviously didn’t test them in -4 because they won’t work at 25f

• Sad
Reactions: CaseFinder
I bought one and took it out calling coyotes in about 25f weather and after sitting there for about 5 minutes it wouldn’t range anything. Not even close like 50 yards. It would either say 101yards or range error. Once it warmed up it would range well beyond 1000. I sent it in for repair and they said it was unrepairable and sent me a new one. Got it today and it does the exact same thing. They are worthless for hunting if they won’t range after being out in 25f temps for awhile. The -4 the manual says is wrong and I hope they can fix this problem. They obviously didn’t test them in -4 because they won’t work at 25f
Otherwise how did it work for you? What was the glass like

The glass is pretty average I would say. Nowhere near as good as the Leupold mk5, March, kahles or any other high end scope. Just a fair weather scope it looks like. I would say probably around the strike Eagle range as far as clarity. The ballistics and every thing else worked fine.

Reactions: CaseFinder