• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question - Bartlein 400MOD Experience 18 Months After Launch

Milirad

Still Learning
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2012
Nevada
Looking for real world experience from end users regarding barrel life of Bartlein 400MOD barrels. I am considering this material to extend barrel life on some new builds in 6.5mm and 6mm.

I am hearing from a couple of knowledgable sources that the original production runs clearly had harder material based on the force and torque required to cut the barrels, with the barrel life of these initial runs being better/longer than normal. Also hearing that some of the more recent runs have not required much additional torque and force to cut compared to standard 416 material and the subsequent barrel life reports for these more recent barrels have come down closer to normal life expectancy. I only have a couple of data points so this is all anecdotal, but if others are finding similar results then maybe there was some tuning of the material recipe or some other factor after the initial runs.

Does anyone have barrel life experience with 400MOD barrels supplied in say the last 6 or 9 months? What kind of extended life, in % increase and/or round count increase, are you getting on barrels supplied recently?

Not trying to create controversy or point any fingers, just trying to get enough real end user data to make a couple of barrel sourcing decisions. Hopefully the responses will suggest that the data I have gathered represents anomalies and the majority of real world barrels are living up to the initial reports at launch. Let's see...

Reactions: BurtG
I'm at two years and about 1500 rounds so far with a 16" 6mm Creed 400MOD barrel Craddock spun up for my AR10. So far it's still holding good groups, I don't see any firecracking and the throat erosion seems unremarkable. So my sample of one says there may be something to this. I'm about a year into a 400MOD .300NM, but I have less than 500 rounds through it, so still a ways to go.

Edit: never mind, re-read your post and you don't care about my barrels.

Reactions: Milirad
I'm at two years and about 1500 rounds so far with a 16" 6mm Creed 400MOD barrel Craddock spun up for my AR10. So far it's still holding good groups, I don't see any firecracking and the throat erosion seems unremarkable. So my sample of one says there may be something to this. I'm about a year into a 400MOD .300NM, but I have less than 500 rounds through it, so still a ways to go.

Edit: never mind, re-read your post and you don't care about my barrels.
Thanks. For sure your first one would be in the timeframe where I am hearing about the harder material. Not sure about your second one.

Looking for real world experience from end users regarding barrel life of Bartlein 400MOD barrels.
Pretty sure Greg at Bugholes / SPR had a thread where he shot a bunch of rounds through one with quite a bit of updates and documentation.

Do that Search thingy and you should be able to find it.

My current 400modbb 6 dasher barrel has a little over 1,500 rounds on it so far. I haven’t seen anything concerning yet. It hasn’t slowed down.

They do take a little more rounds to speed up compared to regular stainless. Which is nice if you have to put a fresh one on at match. Lol

Last edited:
You arent going to get real data. I know a bunch of dudes who jumped on the bandwagon early and reported no more barrel life than their regular bartliens. Guys burning up a few barrels a year. Asking manufactures and people who sell the stuff is not going to get you what you want, and I'm the biggest bartlien fan out there.

Based on what I have been told by people I trust, I would not buy into it. We are like 2 years into the MODBB being out. If there was real validity to doubling barrel life, than most competition shooters would be switching to them to reduce costs.

$600 Blank + $350 chamber job vs 2 x $ 440 Blanks and $350 Chamber jobs = 950 vs 1580.

Then add in the benefit of not needing to break in 2 barrels and the risk of one going dead before expected at a match....

If it was legit, the cost benefit is there as well as the risk mitigation, so you would see everyone flocking to it. Since they aren't, its pretty telling.

My current 400modbb 6 dasher barrel has a little over 1,500 rounds on it so far. I haven’t seen anything concerning yet. It hasn’t slowed down.
These figures mean nothing. You can get 2500-4000 with a Dasher / BR depending on pressure/speed/firing schedule.

A 28" BRA running around 2800 will get you 3.5K+ easy. Its all about the details.

Burned out barrels and the accuracy requirement before they died is what matters.

These figures mean nothing. You can get 2500-4000 with a Dasher / BR depending on pressure/speed/firing schedule.

A 28" BRA running around 2800 will get you 3.5K+ easy. Its all about the details.

Burned out barrels and the accuracy requirement before they died is what matters.
I’m just giving what I have on my current barrel, thanks.

Tag

Glad my (2) 6cm barrels are OG modBB

Really need people that shoot a lot that will have burned barrels out from the later runs, and that have an accuracy standard preferably at distance

You arent going to get real data. I know a bunch of dudes who jumped on the bandwagon early and reported no more barrel life than their regular bartliens. Guys burning up a few barrels a year. Asking manufactures and people who sell the stuff is not going to get you what you want, and I'm the biggest bartlien fan out there.

Based on what I have been told by people I trust, I would not buy into it. We are like 2 years into the MODBB being out. If there was real validity to doubling barrel life, than most competition shooters would be switching to them to reduce costs.

$600 Blank + $350 chamber job vs 2 x $ 440 Blanks and $350 Chamber jobs = 950 vs 1580.

Then add in the benefit of not needing to break in 2 barrels and the risk of one going dead before expected at a match....

If it was legit, the cost benefit is there as well as the risk mitigation, so you would see everyone flocking to it. Since they aren't, its pretty telling.
Thanks and understood. I'm asking for real, unaffiliated, end user experience because I have also heard similar reports to those you cite. I only know a couple of people who have tried MOD and shoot enough to burn barrels out quickly. Hoping to get a better/larger data sample.

Pretty sure Greg at Bugholes / SPR had a thread where he shot a bunch of rounds through one with quite a bit of updates and documentation.

Thank you. The information I have is that the early barrels were definitely harder. I'm asking about the more recent 400 MOD barrel experience, say past 9 months or less, by shooters who have sent enough rounds over that period to burn out a standard 416 barrel. Do you know when Greg purchased his barrel?

Reactions: BurtG
I have 4 6mm MOD400BB barrels I got in December from Bartlein and then 2 I got in November of 22 from Bison tactical. I know the ones I got in 22 were slightly harder than 416. Not sure on how the most recent ones cut yet.

22 lot round count:
Barrel 1: 1,500 (service date of 14 May 2023)
Barrel 2: 137 (currently on my rifle getting it sped up during the slow part of the season)

Both barrels currently shoot the same identical load at 2860 FPS

He sent it back to us when he called it done. It was in 6XC and think he pulled it at 3500+ rounds. It was still shooting but if I recall correctly was only holding like 3/4moa at 300 yards so he pulled it. I could be wrong on some of that as it's been awhile but I do recall the 3500 round count and the caliber.

They do take a little more rounds to speed up compared to regular stainless. Which is nice if you have to put a fresh one on at match. Lol
Thank you. When did you buy your 400MOD barrel? Was it within the past 9 months or so?

He sent it back to us when he called it done. It was in 6XC and think he pulled it at 3500+ rounds. It was still shooting but if I recall correctly was only holding like 3/4moa at 300 yards so he pulled it. I could be wrong on some of that as it's been awhile but I do recall the 3500 round count and the caliber.

Hi Frank. Thank you for jumping in. One of the smiths who I am working with on some new builds asked me if I wanted to try the 400MOD to get longer life before re-barreling so I looked online for reports and then called around. A couple of very knowledgable friends have experience that the original 400MOD barrels took more pressure and torque to cut and seemed to last longer, but subsequent, more recent, barrels are not much if any harder to cut than standard 416 and they don't seem to be lasting much longer than 416. Do you have an idea for why this would be their experience? Thanks again.

yeah but what about the tip, have you checked just the tip? :LOL:

I believe the BB steel was mill run lots (heats) and therefore were large batches. First serial number pre-fixes were 1BB, we saw this for the first couple years (?). We’re seeing serial numbers with 2BB now which implies to me that they have another lot of steel. The barrel I got was a sample that was pre-launch and was a 1BB serial number, obviously from the first lot. It was a 6XC barrel and was pulled off at 3750 rounds IIRC because it was no longer shooting 2” at 400y. We usually get 2000-2200 rounds on 6XC barrels. I don’t have any info on longevity of 2BB barrels.

I’m actually running one in 6 Dasher. I’m at 1800 rounds and I’m not impressed.

I know I shouldn’t base myself on my borescope but the bore looks really bad. Like more than my 3000 rounds benchmark.

I’m already loosing speed and I’m seeing some weird flyers.

Hi Frank. Thank you for jumping in. One of the smiths who I am working with on some new builds asked me if I wanted to try the 400MOD to get longer life before re-barreling so I looked online for reports and then called around. A couple of very knowledgable friends have experience that the original 400MOD barrels took more pressure and torque to cut and seemed to last longer, but subsequent, more recent, barrels are not much if any harder to cut than standard 416 and they don't seem to be lasting much longer than 416. Do you have an idea for why this would be their experience? Thanks again.
Well I'd like to know how they are coming up with this different/subsequent or if you will more recent lots are softer/not harder?

I'm one step away from calling BS on this but I'll keep an open mind for now....

Anyone do a metallurgical analysis or some sort of a hardness test? How or what is someone basing this statistic on? Just by the way they feel it cuts with a reamer or an insert on they're lathe? With out hard data to fall back on.... you need to question this. Reamers can have inconsistencies in how they are ground and even when new might not cut good etc... or how many barrels has the reamer chambered? That's just one variable.

So I went back and looked at the material certs/inspection reports as well as what we double checked with the RC tester we have. Now keep in mind our RC tester usually reads a point lower than what the material inspection reports say. I've seen this across the board and pretty consistent with other lots and types of steel we've checked. So I don't believe the mill is skewing the inspection reports at all.

That all being said we are on our 3rd lot of material. I have a 4th lot that is close to being done. Looking back at the numbers the first lot of material RC wise was technically the softest lot. The 2nd lot was about the same to a point and a half harder.... the 3rd lot basically mimic's the 2nd lot... maybe and this is a maybe a point higher.

And right now I'm just looking at one piece of the criteria and that is the RC of the material. The chemical composition make up can vary a smidge to and effect how the material machines as well.... but that doesn't mean it's softer or won't last as long etc...

If I look at the average number of the BB material vs the avg. number of the standard 416R material at a quick glance...I'd say the BB material is at times about 2.5 points harder than standard 416R but we've had lots of 416R that have been just as hard when you only look at the RC scale numbers.... but this is just one thing to look at. It's also the chemical make up of the material itself that is different.

That's like guys arguing the LW50 material is harder and more difficult to machine so it should last longer which isn't the case and most guys agree it doesn't machine nice but nothing that goes towards helping it last longer because they think it's harder etc...

So.....?

Later, Frank

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say, the guys that are drilling, reaming, rifling these blanks would have a pretty good idea if the newer lot was any less or more hard to machine than the previous lot.

I believe the BB steel was mill run lots (heats) and therefore were large batches. First serial number pre-fixes were 1BB, we saw this for the first couple years (?). We’re seeing serial numbers with 2BB now which implies to me that they have another lot of steel. The barrel I got was a sample that was pre-launch and was a 1BB serial number, obviously from the first lot. It was a 6XC barrel and was pulled off at 3750 rounds IIRC because it was no longer shooting 2” at 400y. We usually get 2000-2200 rounds on 6XC barrels. I don’t have any info on longevity of 2BB barrels.
Mill runs which is how we have to buy it... a mill run is 50k pounds minimum. In that minimum we can break it up into different diameters but each diameter has to be a min of 10k pounds.

In some cases we've our steel has come out of runs of 100k pounds.

Thanks for filling in the blanks Greg and jumping in here!

Later, Frank

And just because the steel is harder per se.... doesn't mean you cannot wreck it still. No maintenance, abuse, type of powder rate of fire etc... you can still wreck it.

I've seen it with the BB type of material also.... because someone thinks it's harder etc... they put it on the gun and just run it. Gets sent in and after talking to the customer... it never got cleaned once. I've seen guys do it to regular material as well.

And just because the steel is harder per se.... doesn't mean you cannot wreck it still. No maintenance, abuse, type of powder rate of fire etc... you can still wreck it.

I've seen it with the BB type of material also.... because someone thinks it's harder etc... they put it on the gun and just run it. Gets sent in and after talking to the customer... it never got cleaned once. I've seen guys do it to regular material as well.
What number of complaints would it take for BARTLEIN to do the analysis (granted I don't know what your front end QC looks like)? Seems like the standard answer from Bartlein is that if the 400MODBB doesn't live up to expectations that it's an end user issue. People do dumb shit with barrels all the time 100%, but there has to be a number of complaints where you will take it on yourself to investigate right? Instead of saying tough shit, you're stupid, if you disagree run a full metallurgical test.

Barrel life is obviously super hard to nail down with all the factors that affect it, but reading about people getting 400 rounds in a 400MODBB barrel doing the exact same thing they get 1000 out of a different manufacturers or standard Bartlein barrel is concerning. I don't think they are all of a sudden going off the deep end and hot rodding the shit out of things.

Everyone has to make a decision with their $$, for me I'll stick to standard Bartlein barrels. The 400MODBB snake oil doesn't seem worth the price.

Thank you Frank! I appreciate your input and it suggests some possibilities that would explain the discrepancies in field reports.

I am an end-user not a gunsmith so you will forgive me for attempting to relay second hand information as a layperson in this area. I just asked for end-user feedback hoping it would be available from the shooters who shoot more and therefore burn out barrels faster. As you can see, the feedback is a bit variable and inconclusive so far, with limited information on the difference between the earlier and later 400MOD runs. I provide the following in response to your questions and comments.

Anyone do a metallurgical analysis or some sort of a hardness test? How or what is someone basing this statistic on? Just by the way they feel it cuts with a reamer or an insert on they're lathe? With out hard data to fall back on.... you need to question this. Reamers can have inconsistencies in how they are ground and even when new might not cut good etc... or how many barrels has the reamer chambered? That's just one variable.

There were no metallurgical tests as far as I know. My understanding is that the best chamber cutting equipment uses sensors for cutting pressure and cutting torque in order to adjust cutting speed to achieve a high quality finish and concentricity down to a hundredth of a thou and even less. As I understand it, the machines tell the smith quite a bit about the material properties because the pressure and torque for a given cutting speed generally go up for harder steel. The information I was given is that at least some of the earlier 400MOD runs had higher cutting torque and cutting pressure values for a given cutting speed as compared to standard 416 barrels and that the initial 400MOD barrels seemed to shoot accurately with limited velocity change for more rounds than a normal 416 barrel, albeit with not quite as much % increase in round count as initially indicated. I also understand that at least some of the subsequent 400MOD barrel runs, many months later, had chamber cutting pressure and torque at a given cutting speed that compared more closely to normal 416 barrels and this reduction in the relative cutting pressure and torque seemed to correlate with barrel life measured in round count that was not as long as the earlier 400MOD runs mentioned directly above. I can't be sure but doubt that it had something to do with reamer wear because the pressure and torque values were compared at each point in time vs standard 416, not in absolute value. Pressure and torque certainly vary as the reamer wears, and my understanding is this is why the smith continually adjusts cutting speed to get quality results as a reamer wears and to account for differences from barrel to barrel, manufacturer to manufacturer.

So I went back and looked at the material certs/inspection reports as well as what we double checked with the RC tester we have. Now keep in mind our RC tester usually reads a point lower than what the material inspection reports say. I've seen this across the board and pretty consistent with other lots and types of steel we've checked. So I don't believe the mill is skewing the inspection reports at all.

That all being said we are on our 3rd lot of material. I have a 4th lot that is close to being done. Looking back at the numbers the first lot of material RC wise was technically the softest lot. The 2nd lot was about the same to a point and a half harder.... the 3rd lot basically mimic's the 2nd lot... maybe and this is a maybe a point higher.

And right now I'm just looking at one piece of the criteria and that is the RC of the material. The chemical composition make up can vary a smidge to and effect how the material machines as well.... but that doesn't mean it's softer or won't last as long etc...

If I look at the average number of the BB material vs the avg. number of the standard 416R material at a quick glance...I'd say the BB material is at times about 2.5 points harder than standard 416R but we've had lots of 416R that have been just as hard when you only look at the RC scale numbers.... but this is just one thing to look at. It's also the chemical make up of the material itself that is different.

That's like guys arguing the LW50 material is harder and more difficult to machine so it should last longer which isn't the case and most guys agree it doesn't machine nice but nothing that goes towards helping it last longer because they think it's harder etc...

So.....?

I don't know what the correlation of cutting pressure and torque values is with the RC value of the steel, nor do I know if RC is the sole indicator of Barrel life. As you point out, in addition to RC value, the way a barrel cuts and the barrel life may also depend on other material properties such as chemical composition, perhaps along with other properties. As you also point out, the properties of different runs can vary, both for the standard 416, with runs some being "harder" than others, and for the 400MOD runs.

It could be that the data I received was from a moment in time where the standard 416 was running a little "harder" and the 400MOD was a little less than nominal "hardness". Perhaps subsequent comparisons between 416 and 400MOD at a later/different point in time would have been closer to the initial comparisons. This is quite possible, I don't know.

This is all the information I have. Please forgive me if I have ventured into conjecture that is not warranted given my limited material science experience in other fields.

Still trying to decide how to answer one of the gunsmiths I am working with regarding which barrel material to use...

Thanks again!

Reactions: Frank Green
I’m actually running one in 6 Dasher. I’m at 1800 rounds and I’m not impressed.

I know I shouldn’t base myself on my borescope but the bore looks really bad. Like more than my 3000 rounds benchmark.

I’m already loosing speed and I’m seeing some weird flyers.
My very first BB dasher barrel died at 1,840. Well that’s when I declared it dead, mostly likely died prior to that during a match where my scores randomly tanked hard. That being said, I set that barrel aside as a bad barrel because it was always acted weird. In its life it was very stable until just north of 500 rounds where it just dropped sharply in velocity, I’ll have to go and get numbers later, but just added more powder to get it back up to 2800 fps. That barrel lived99% of its life at 2800 with 4166 powder.

Because it acted weird I wrote it off, the current barrel I’m running hasn’t acted that way at all.

My very first BB dasher barrel died at 1,840. Well that’s when I declared it dead, mostly likely died prior to that during a match where my scores randomly tanked hard. That being said, I set that barrel aside as a bad barrel because it was always acted weird. In its life it was very stable until just north of 500 rounds where it just dropped sharply in velocity, I’ll have to go and get numbers later, but just added more powder to get it back up to 2800 fps. That barrel lived99% of its life at 2800 with 4166 powder.

Because it acted weird I wrote it off, the current barrel I’m running hasn’t acted that way at all
Yeah I mean I have the exact same experience, 2830fps with H4350 so it’s not a "hot" load by any means and it was well taken care of.

I’m not saying it’s my last Bartlein but definitely the last 400MOD. I don’t see the value anymore.

@Frank Green Are any of the ammunition test barrels being ordered in BB steel these days? Based on past posts of yours, it sounded like ammunition manufacturers would be in the best position to provide the requested data, as they maintain high-quality records, procedures, and standards of performance for their barrels.

@Frank Green Are any of the ammunition test barrels being ordered in BB steel these days? Based on past posts of yours, it sounded like ammunition manufacturers would be in the best position to provide the requested data, as they maintain high-quality records, procedures, and standards of performance for their barrels.
I won’t speak for him. But,I do know there have been 400bb barrels sent to manufacturers for test barrels in the past.

It’s in the first post of the original thread.

It’s in the first post of the original thread.
Well, the question at hand seems to be asking for newer data, specifically after the early run.

@Milirad
... My understanding is that the best chamber cutting equipment uses sensors for cutting pressure and cutting torque in order to adjust cutting speed to achieve a high quality finish and concentricity down to a hundredth of a thou and even less....

I know you're not a machinist. Some of us are. That sounds all kinds of weird to me. Hundredth of a thou or even less? So 0.001"/100=0.00001" which is ten millionths of an inch? How are they measuring that? No indicators go that fine. Ten millionths is 1.2x the length of a measles virus.
Example of a 50 millionths indicator. Next to a 10mm Allen.
20240220_140504.jpg

I'm an aerospace grinder. Smallest adjustment on diameter I have ever made is 30 millionths. That was to maintain where I wanted it in the +/-0.0001" (one ten thousandth).

I know you're not a machinist. Some of us are. That sounds all kinds of weird to me. Hundredth of a thou or even less? So 0.001"/100=0.00001" which is ten millionths of an inch? How are they measuring that? No indicators go that fine. Ten millionths is 1.2x the length of a measles virus.
Example of a 50 millionths indicator. Next to a 10mm Allen.

I'm an aerospace grinder. Smallest adjustment on diameter I have ever made is 30 millionths. That was to maintain where I wanted it in the +/-0.0001" (one ten thousandth).

Well, you are spot on about me not being a machinist, but I have done a little machining and designed some tooling in my younger days, and have just enough mechanical and science background to be dangerous to myself and others. At the risk of digging deeper, all I can say is I have seen chamber runout indicators with 0.1 mil marks that don't move much. A tenth of a tenth of a mil is 100 millionths, so something like that in any event. I apologize that my comment wandered from topic and was not relevant to the issue at hand. I probably should not have said it, or just stuck with "less than a tenth mil", which generally seems "good enough" for many great barrel cutters to consider it job well done.

Reactions: LeftyJason
I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

............. A couple of very knowledgable friends have experience that the original 400MOD barrels took more pressure and torque to cut and seemed to last longer, but subsequent, more recent, barrels are not much if any harder to cut than standard 416 and they don't seem to be lasting much longer than 416. Do you have an idea for why this would be their experience?...

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say, the guys that are drilling, reaming, rifling these blanks would have a pretty good idea if the newer lot was any less or more hard to machine than the previous lot.

I work in high volume production machining both as operator and set up man and have been for the better part of 25 years now. I can't take any machinist, who thinks they can discern minute differences in the hardness between heat runs of the same material by the way their machine runs, very seriously at all. Every shop I've been in always has a guy or three blaming their machine/tooling problems on the material. Those guys are the fudd's of the machining world. In just about all instances I have seen, their problems can be traced to worn out or sub-optimal work holding or tool holding fixtures, sub-optimal feeds and speeds, or electrical/ mechanical issues with the machinery they are operating. I have been dealing with heat lot changes on a near weekly basis for the last 12 years working with screw machines. Our steel does not come from the mill, it comes from distributers for the mills. The companies I worked for always buy the cheapest material available. We do not have the standards that Bartlein holds their material to. Even with the cheapest steel, it is extremely rare to get material with the hardness so far off as to affect the tooling of the machine and/or finished product.

This post below by Frank doesn't even scratch the surface of the potential variables that could be causing short barrel life for only a few people. If it was the material as it came from the mill, it would not be just one or two bars from the run, it would be almost the entire run of material. All customers who received barrels from that specific run would be affected. IMO, the handful of people experiencing shortened barrel life should look elsewhere other than the material for the cause.

Well I'd like to know how they are coming up with this different/subsequent or if you will more recent lots are softer/not harder?

I'm one step away from calling BS on this but I'll keep an open mind for now....

So.....?

Later, Frank

I would think the rifling cutters would show wear at a higher rate with harder materials. But I could be wrong. Maybe the couple points isn’t enough to really show that big of a difference in tool wear. But I’d also think, if that’s the case, it probably wouldn’t show that much difference in barrel life either then.

What’s interesting is that most of those responding are linking material hardness to barrel life, when in fact I believe Frank basically said that was wrong. There are tons of material variables that can be adjusted to achieve that result. You can alter wear resistance, heat resistance or both while still holding the hardness the same. This I suspect proprietary formula is what drove Frank to offer the steel. Focusing on one aspect gets you no where as Frank said, lot to lot handling at the mill could result in that without altering the core properties.

I would think the rifling cutters would show wear at a higher rate with harder materials. But I could be wrong. Maybe the couple points isn’t enough to really show that big of a difference in tool wear. But I’d also think, if that’s the case, it probably wouldn’t show that much difference in barrel life either then.
First point, no your not wrong, harder steel generally does reduce tool life. Decrease in tool life may start to show within a couple RC points but, would be minimal. True for barrel life as well. When I typed out my post above, it was with the assumption that tool life, feeds & speeds are established and proven. If a person running the same material over and over says they can feel that the material is harder when they cut, I can't help but wonder if they checked to see if their tools are dull or if a coolant line got knocked out of position. It's easy to lose track of those things.

.................Even with the cheapest steel, it is extremely rare to get material with the hardness so far off as to affect the tooling of the machine and/or finished product.
Just a little clarification here, by affecting the tooling, I'm assuming that a general tool life has already been established and speed and feeds are adequate for the part being machined.

Right, these guys run these same tools, day in and day out. I assume also that they have a pretty well established number of inches times depth they cut before needing to be replaced. If when running 400bb they need to be replaced more often to maintain the same cutting efficiency, then that would say something. Given that this isn’t their first batch, they would know if it wasn’t being consistent

This post below by Frank doesn't even scratch the surface of the potential variables that could be causing short barrel life for only a few people. If it was the material as it came from the mill, it would not be just one or two bars from the run, it would be almost the entire run of material. All customers who received barrels from that specific run would be affected. IMO, the handful of people experiencing shortened barrel life should look elsewhere other than the material for the cause.
Well put!

Guys also think of this..... and I use this example all the time....

If we had a bad run of steel/bad lot..... I'm not going to hear it from the guy who buys one or two here or there..... I'm going to be hearing it from a ammo/bullet maker or gun manufacturer way before I hear it from someone else.

Right now just on 50bmg test barrels a powder maker that we make test barrels for are burning up a 50bmg test barrel at the rate of one per week! When they order barrels they order in qty. If the barrels where dying a premature death.... they would be on the phone with me like a lightning bolt if there was a problem.

Another ammo maker in regards to the BB material the vast majority of the rifle caliber test barrels they are using is the BB material. They're pistol calibers are all standard 416R because the pistol calibers are real easy on barrel life. When they order they're 223 barrels, 300wm barrels, 6.5CM barrels etc...they typically order them in batches of 10 at a time. Again if there was a problem...they'd be calling pretty quick.

Last edited:
What number of complaints would it take for BARTLEIN to do the analysis.....
It really is case dependent on what happened/or is going on.

A void in the material, a crack, a guy blows up a gun etc....

As an example if a guy thinks he has a crack in the steel and we look at it and question it... will have the lab do an analysis on it. That's happened a few times and in each case.... no crack in the material. It was a frickn scratch from the chamber reamer etc.... one place that thought they had one was Remington and that was a c.m. steel barrel. Sometimes we can look at it and can tell what is going on and don't even need to send it out to the lab. One guy and this was a good one.... thought he had a crack in a standard 416r material. He claims he had it checked by a engine shop and they magnafluxed it but he didn't provide me an inspection material from what they did. Barrel came in and I said...not a crack. It's a scratch. He bitched me out on the phone. I said fine... I'll send it to the lab and have it checked out. He said he wanted the barrel back when done. I said your not getting it back... it will get cut a part during the inspection. In the meantime I made him a replacement at n/c. I got the inspection report and emailed him a copy from the lab.... no crack. Several months later he calls me up and demands the old barrel back. We went over everything again. He was just bent over to the almighty! Told me he was going to have t-shirts made up saying bullshit on them and hand them out.... I said if you do that I'll buy two XL shirts from you. One for myself and one for Tracy. Needless to say I won't take an order from him anymore.

When you do an in depth test like this... no matter what the barrel gets scrapped because it's going to get cut a part. So you have to make a decision at times how much time and money your going to put into this piece or that piece. What's really important and what's not.

Yes we've gotten the mill involved as well and not just the lab.

Had another guy and I with hold his name back when I was at Krieger. We made him 6 count them 6 barrels at one time. All 22rf. The gunsmiths name is B.C. did all the work. Customer called complaining every barrel was bad and that the steel was all rough internally etc... so he sent them all in.... nothing wrong with the barrels....everyone of them the gunsmith used too tight of a pilot bushing and scored all the lands in front of the chamber. I replaced them but told him I'd never make him another one. The same customer calls me up here like 10 years later to order a barrel here at Bartlein.... gave me his contact info.... yep same guy... I said Mike (his real name)... this is Frank...do you remember me? Phone went quiet!!! I said I'll let the past be water under the dam...but don't call me with a problem do you understand? He said... I got it!

Or I like the one where not once but twice.... same gun builder claimed they had not one but six 300wm barrels (the last ones that came in) and all didn't shoot.... sends in the barrels.... and guess what....not a one of them where ours. All button made barrels. That shop was out of WA or OR state.

Point in the above.... you don't always get the whole picture of what is going on.

see my post #43...

Not everyone ammo/bullet maker is ordering the BB material. They have to justify costs and time etc..again barrels are consumables. Don't forget the guys in the labs have to deal with bean counters and the guys who do the work don't always get they're way.

Also it's very interesting and it's happened where one manufacture we made a 300mag barrel out of the BB material when I asked how it was going the reply was.... can't tell ya... one of the guys on 2nd shift wrecked it from how they used or cleaned it. So shit happens.

The barrels in 300wm we made the gov't went 3k+ rounds. Normally they are only getting about 800-1200 rounds out of them. That's the kicker that I don't get at times... they will see good data but don't always buy the barrels. It will be on and off.

We also make r&d barrels for manufacturers. Around the middle of last year or so we made 10pcs in 6mm for a gun maker. All BB material. They are having problems with barrel life in CM etc... guns are for testing for the military. They told me all the barrels shot great and the barrel life was great but no more orders as of yet. They submitted guns to the military with a cost per gun etc... but I haven't heard of any orders coming thru to them.

Here is a good one for you all and just another example of take what you hear with a grain of salt....

Guy calls up/emails with a video of it spinning in a lathe and he is saying he has a barrel with a void in the material and found it after chambering the barrel. OK... well send it in so we can look at it.

Barrel came in yesterday.... Guess what no void in the material. It's a crappy chamber reamer finish. What he sees in the reflection of the barrel spinning in the lathe is the crappy reamer finish. So we call him up.... he says well I cut 2" off the barrel two times and rechambered it both times. So he claims he cut 4" off the breech end of the barrel total.

Well we shipped him a 33" blank... if he cut 4" off total the barrel it should be down to 29" right? I mean simple math there... well the barrel is at 32.75" right now. So..............:mad:

and no we cannot find any voids in the material.... four of us looked at it!

This is the other funny part.... when ever someone seems to have a chamber issue.... how come it always seems like it's in the first couple of inches of barrel that the claim the steel is bad in? You can't make it up!

On a similar note.... we tried chambering up a couple of ammo test barrels right now. Customer supplied tools. Won't tell me who made the tools. The reamers are not ground/made right. So not cutting properly and in fact stopped cutting all together and we are only up to the shoulder. The throat isn't cutting it's smearing/rolling a burr over in the throat. So I've got a call into them asking them what are we suppose to do.

^ this doesn’t surprise me one bit. Of course we all make mistakes but…

You’ve got one of the most respected, if not the most respected barrel maker in the industry, who has an experienced team, and a set of quality controls in place.

And then you’ve got Bubba’s Gun Shops dotting the hinterlands of the entire country chambering the barrels with unknown skills, equipment and experience, finding problems and the last person they’re going to blame is them self

I bet Mark from short action customs has never sent a barrel back to Frank and if he has it was probably actually defective

Last edited: