• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question between 6.5 and 6 creedmoor

Sincerd

Drone
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2019
Freestate
I've once read that with a bushing die, in 6.5. If you used a 6mm bushing was all you needed to use the sizer interchangeably. Is this true? And that would mean the opposite would be true? I have 6mm dies not 6.5.

I would need a seater still.

I thought the only thing that touch the neck was the bushing? No? I've always been told to take out the bushing to resize only the body

No, the neck hole in die will be too small for the 6.5

Then it would depend on the manufacturer. I use my redding type s 7wsm die will neck down 300 wsm brass, a piece of brass will be untouched if no bushing is in there.

Bradu makes a good point, a different manufacturer may leave the neck hole larger. Imagine the case geometry though. I want the die to size the entire shoulder, so that hole needs to be just over the fired neck diameter, or even slightly less. I’ve done a lot of case necking, and I haven’t come across a bushing die that will do what youre asking.

In the case of a hornady match die, it’s not even close. Put a 6.5 creed case into the 6mm creed die, and a it will come out most the way formed to a 6mm.

Hornady match 6mm creed die, bushing removed, 6.5 case inserted. Neck is not even Close to fitting.
F83AE107-E640-4396-A9BB-3D044672D698.jpeg

Same die, 6mm creed case. I took a measurement of the neck hole and it’s about .275” maybe a tad larger.
7344AAD4-57BF-4B42-ADC2-F5B2C0DFFADE.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: spife7980
Just checked my whidden 6 creedmoor and it doesnt fit a 6.5. I was wrong about the 7 wsm, checked it to make sure and it doesn't fit through. I might have to find my old brass because I could have swore it did.

Just checked my whidden 6 creedmoor and it doesnt fit a 6.5. I was wrong about the 7 wsm, checked it to make sure and it doesn't fit through. I might have to find my old brass because I could have swore it did.

All but that first sentence was for the OP. You may be right about your 7 WSM die.

OP, this is where I plug the Hornady match dies. I like them a lot. They’re superior in quality and half the cost of a Redding type S. Just grab yourself the 6.5 creed die.

Last edited:
All but that first sentence was for the OP. You may be right about your 7 WSM die.

OP, this is where I plug the Hornady match dies. I like them a lot. They’re superior in quality and half the cost of a Redding type S. Just grab yourself the 6.5 creed die. Yes

I know but I figured I would check the whidden 6mm since I was in there getting ready to load up to go shoot.

Yeah getting one isn't an issue I was just wondering. I like the RCBS match Masters for the bullet window and have a 6 I'm about to trade for a 6.5. Guess I'll trade the dies, sell or just buy another barrel.

Last edited: