• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question bout Wylde chamber

308skinner

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 23, 2006
    Indiana
    I have a RRA flattop with the Wylde chamber. Do i need to full length the brass every time or can i just neck size it with this chambering?

Re: Question bout Wylde chamber

Get a reloading manual and read the gas gun section. They always say to resize
    full length. I bump the shoulder .002 personally.

It's a very rare AR that will reliably feed and chamber neck sized only brass. I FL resize it each time no matter what chamber it is, just the nature of the beast. Some people testify that they can neck size 2-3 times and then FL resize, then necksize a couple more times, then FL resize, etc.

I've never had much luck with that, maybe on a "match gun" that only gets 1 round fed at a time anyway.

Don't meen to highjack this thread but, what is the differance in a standard .223 chamber and a .223 Wylde?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triple 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't meen to highjack this thread but, what is the differance in a standard .223 chamber and a .223 Wylde? </div></div>

The Wylde has an elongated throat for shooting heavy bullets in the 80+ range.

As Ive told you a million times, ALWAYS FULL LENGTH SIZE FOR AN AUTO LOADER. ALWAYS.

As others have said: full-length size each loading.

You are shooting an AR, not a bench rifle. If you are looking for an advantage in accuracy from neck-sizing only you shooting the wrong rifle.

I not only full-length resize, but I full-length resize with a small-base die and go right back to SAAMI spec. I do this to ensure function in a number of rifles, all of which have Wylde chambers. Doing this does shorten brass life as some cases will be set back as much as .006, but it does not affect accuracy.

FWIW, a Wylde chamber varies from the standard .223 Rem in that it has more generous cartridge body dimensions, a longer throat, but the throat diameter is smaller. Variants of the Wylde chamber are the AMU (.030 longer throat to put the base of the 80 Sierra at the shoulder junction) and the Holliger (.060 longer throat for case capacity with 90 grain bullets).

I have to set the dillon to cam over slightly in order to get the rds to eject by hand. So I guess I am bumping the shoulder some too. after I got it set all works fine!