• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Question for American Rifle Co. M10 rings users?

AberdeenReb

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
MS
I'm thinking about trying these rings on a new build I just picked up. I have read all of the posts about these rings and they look great. Has anyone tried lapping these rings or is it not necessary? I normally lap all of my rings but these look like they might not need it due to the design. Thoughts?

Re: Question for American Rifle Co. M10 rings users?

No need to lap, they are made very true as it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter.dm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does lapping the rings do </div></div>

Lapping rings will increase the contact between the ring surface and scope tube. It may also be necessary if the receiver and/or screw holes are off center to prevent damaging the scope tube.

I have used these rings on two of my rifles and without a doubt they are the simplest best rings I have ever used. Two bolts per ring torque to 65in/lbs and your good to go, and zero rings marks whatsoever in my experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AberdeenReb</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter.dm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does lapping the rings do </div></div>

Lapping rings will increase the contact between the ring surface and scope tube. It may also be necessary if the receiver and/or screw holes are off center to prevent damaging the scope tube.</div></div>

If you don't trust that the manufacturer of the rings can make a round hole then you should keep looking until you find a manufacturer that can. I don't know of too many on this forum that lap high-end rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AberdeenReb</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter.dm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does lapping the rings do </div></div>

Lapping rings will increase the contact between the ring surface and scope tube. It may also be necessary if the receiver and/or screw holes are off center to prevent damaging the scope tube.</div></div>

If you don't trust that the manufacturer of the rings can make a round hole then you should keep looking until you find a manufacturer that can. I don't know of too many on this forum that lap high-end rings. </div></div>

I agree that high-end rings should not need to be lapped. My question was simply to determine if these are indeed high-end rings that do not need to be lapped. I have however come across some rings that may be considered high-end that did need lapping. I think I will give the M10's a try.

I jsut ordered my first set today too for my new Bushnell HDMR

I got the rings today and installed them. WOW these things are really nice. The center split of course allows you to mount the rings to the base first or vise versa to get them perfectly set in the rings. I measured mine with a digital mic and caliper and the tollerances are crazy tight. I work in a machine shop and we measure stuff like this all the time but I can say for sure that these are really worth the money. I cant wait to go shoot now with the new rifle, scope, base and rings.

Plus Ted's a super nice guy. I have a 34mm set on one of my rigs. He went well out of his way to make sure I was taken care of.

I think you will be pleased.