• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question for any gunsmiths

308crosshairs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2005
Dallas
I purchased a Win 3006 pre64. I noticed after appling grease to both locking lugs on the bolt that only one lug makes contact with the receiver when the bolt is closed. The other lug doesn't make contact at all. My question is this a safe condition to shoot this pre64 or should I take it to a smith before shooting any rounds?

Re: Question for any gunsmiths

It is unsafe, send it to me and I will send you some money.

Good observation. No, it's not unsafe or unusual. Feed it some premium ammo and see how it shoots.

Both lugs making even contact is 1 of many variables in any rifles ability to give repeatable accuracy.

Thanks azshooter for your input. I have some Federal Prem that I will try to see how she shoots.

Dmdodson, that was a good read you sent, very informative.

Uneven contact is found far more often than not. It's not a major safety issue, but I would have it taken care of if you have it rebarreled at some point. Sometimes it can be taken care of by lapping the lugs in, but if you can see the difference using grease like you have it will probably go into excess headspace before matching up.