• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question for AR loading

Buzzsaw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2006
Frisco, Texas
Never loaded for an AR, just my bolt guns. Got an AR and will begin loading for it. Do I need to do anything different???

It's a Rock River Predator Pursuit 20" 1-8 twist. Planning on using the 80gr SMK, Amax and Berger VLD's I have on hand for my 1-7 bolt gun, I have some Varget, H322 and RL-15

any suggestions?

Re: Question for AR loading

With those bullets it sounds like you want to be single feeding your AR.....be tough to get the long ones to work mag length.

75gr Hornady and 77gr SMK's are nice at mag length (2.260) and around 2700fps......25 or so gr of Varget should be near your sweet spot for the two bullets I suggested.

You'll be single-loading those just like what sobrbiker883 said. I have a 1/8 24" AR that would not shoot the 77gr Sierra's either. Tried some 69's and it shoots like a house on fire.

YMMV

-Whisper

Great info, was wondering about sizing, thanks Moof.

I got a single load follower. I will buy some 69,75 and 77gr so I can mag feed. Thanks guys

When I started to reload for my AR's, I needed to switch to a small base die. Feeding and extraction became hit or miss with just full length sizing. Sometimes everything would work out, and sometimes I would be kicking the charging handle to get the brass out. A RCBS small base die cured that for me.

I like to use a Wilson case gauge to set up the full length die, and also check cases for length. Shot highpower for about 5 years and never had an issue with my reloads. 69 or 77 gr sierras for mag length rounds. Rl 15 and varget are two popular powders. Also, want to use a harder primer to avoid a slam fire, since AR firing pins are free floating. Be sure primers are seated below case head for same reason.

Randy

Lee crimp die is a cheap investment that produces consistent results if used properly. Try one.

CCI #41 and Wolf primers are harder. I don't know what's in LC ammo......

Lee Factory Crimp die uses a collet so you can "crimp" with no cannelure no problem. Just set it for a little bitty crimp to keep the pills from sliding under recoil.

I'm a fan of the Wylde chamber, haven't had to small base size anything yet for one of them!

I use a light crimp with or without cannelure. I started doing it after I experienced many rounds pushing the bullet into the case when loading. As a side benefit, it made the velocities more consistent.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you crimp without a cannelure on the bullet? </div></div>

There is some good info at www.exteriorballistics.com. Click on the reloading basics at the upper left. That page will show reloading for semi-autos and service rifles. It will give you alot of info. covering just about everything mentioned above. Hope this helps.

Randy

There is an excellent book: Black Magic: The Ultra Accurate AR-15 by John Feamster. If I remember correctly, it contained alot of reloading info.