• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Question for bench shooters

layinclose2hell

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
Texas
I have done a search on the subject matter, but I have not found the information I am looking for, hopefully some of you can help. I am and always have been uncomfortable shooting from a bench. To sight in a rifle for hunting I can survive, but the two close ranges to my house do not have the facilities available for off-hand, seated or prone. Unless I am out in the field that we occasionally shoot at, I have basically been relegated to shooting on cramped benches that do not allow me to get comfortable.
Is there something I should be doing to get into a better position? Please keep in mind that there are metal rests with sandbags attached, flat and wobbly, in the way of being able to spread out. You might as well just sit at the cramped bench and shoot off-handed, with no stability.
I am not looking to become a bench rest shooter by any means, and I have a great respect for the discipline, but I think that the ability understand bench rest shooting positions may make my weekly trips to the range a little more enjoyable.
Thanks!

Re: Question for bench shooters

at my range i just pull the bench out of the way.. into a trash can for all i care and then go prone where it use to sit. if your range wont allow this and you cant fit in between benches talk to the owner and see if you can maybe set up on the end of the firing line or something. if i were youd i exhaust all options before i went to the bench.

I thought about that, and I am sure he would be fine with that during off times, but getting to the range in an off time is quite a task...I brought up the fact I would be on the far left of the line, so no one would have to step over me, for liability reasons.

So whats actually stopping you from going prone? Regulations at the range?

Also, what is it about the bench that is uncomfortable? Is it that they are not stable? Wrong height? Cant get behind it?

Yes, I would put regulations as the primary reason. To explain the bench, I have about 32 inches total of room, but a great deal of that is monopolized by a fixed rest (Steel angle iron welded and bolted down to the table). The rest is a great idea, but they are designed so that they are adjustable, however that allows for way too much play, and the rests are unstable and wobbly. Even trying multiple positions to drive the rifle, or at least attempting to move the seat height and location so that I can get behind the rifle efficiently, there is metal that sticks out and jabs me in the ribs. There is just not enough room to work next to the rest as they are located about center of the opening, and it is impossible to get between the rest and the framing. I am really looking for position/setup for bench shooting, to see if I am missing something that may help. If I cannot make this work, looks like I will be driving.....and hunting for a new range.

I've been to ranges where they have plywood at the end of the bench that goes to the ground. no prone there =[

I avoid those places now.

this might be the only time in the history of america where a CA shooter has more options on a gun topic over a guy in texas. every outdoor range and even indoor rifle range ive ever been to aloud me to go prone. i say who evers running your range has a grudge against non-bench shooters. he must be an old guy...damn old guys stuck in there benches.. i mean ways...
smirk.gif

The problem aroud here is all you damn californians keep moving in and building suburbs where there used to be farmland surrounding all of our ranges
smile.gif

all Joking aside I usually go to private property when I can but I work in downtown San Antonio and I've been getting alot of my co-workers into shooting so I typically meet them somewhere on the outskirts of town. It's about halfway for all of us.

I got yelled at a couple Sundays ago for shooting my Remmy 700 LTR too fast and was called "dangerous and reckless". I was prone, holding my position with a loaded bipod running the bolt, and seeing how fast I could land follow upshots. I'd guess 5 rounds in 20-25 seconds. I asked the RO to look at my target. 5 shot MOA group at 200. He told me I should slow down, shooting that fast is dangerous.
crazy.gif

the only other guy He yelled at was a couple of guys with an AR that couldn't hit the target from the bench at 100 yards (about 7 rounds on paper out of 3 magazines) who then had the genius idea to stand up and shoot offhand. I could see how that would be a liability for the range owner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: layinclose2hell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have done a search on the subject matter, but I have not found the information I am looking for, hopefully some of you can help. I am and always have been uncomfortable shooting from a bench. To sight in a rifle for hunting I can survive, but the two close ranges to my house do not have the facilities available for off-hand, seated or prone. Unless I am out in the field that we occasionally shoot at, I have basically been relegated to shooting on cramped benches that do not allow me to get comfortable.
Is there something I should be doing to get into a better position? Please keep in mind that there are metal rests with sandbags attached, flat and wobbly, in the way of being able to spread out. You might as well just sit at the cramped bench and shoot off-handed, with no stability.
I am not looking to become a bench rest shooter by any means, and I have a great respect for the discipline, but I think that the ability understand bench rest shooting positions may make my weekly trips to the range a little more enjoyable.
Thanks!</div></div>
I'm going to take a wild guess and say you've been shooting at Hotwells? A range here in Houston is as dedcribed,if you are here in houston I say take the extra 30 mins and drive to American Shooting Centers.I don't waste my time or money at "shitwells".

Nah, up in Conroe. I may check out ASC this week.
Thanks for the heads up.