• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question for California Members

TmisterE

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Washington
My wife's father is getting old he's 96 and is at the point he needs help, since we are retired and in the process of selling our home wife and I have been elected by wife's family to move to California (Orangevale) and take care of him until he passes, probably a year or two? will then move back home. My question is what kind of hoops and stupid shit will I have to jump through to bring my firearms (I have quite a few) into the state of California. Also any ranges places to shoot in the area, I know!! Cali is the last place we would ever consider moving and have not committed to this yet, it would help us out with our retirement though yes I'm a poor. Just looking for info and advice on making such a move.

You will probably have to significantly alter any AR type weapon to make sure it wouldn't need to be registered as the books are closed. I have no idea if you can bring in off roster handguns. You will need to register everything. I'd probably try to keep most of my guns at a friends house or with a trusted ffl back in the United States rather than bring them into CA.

I don't live there, though, so I could be wrong.

Reactions: BytorJr
Bolt action rifles and pump/break action shotguns should give you no issue. California has an assault weapons ban, so anything semi-auto and center fire is going to not be worth the effort to bring into the state. Cali also has an "approved list" for pistols. Bringing in semi-auto pistols is probably also not worth the hassle. And, maximum 10 round magazines. You won't likely be able to get a CHL if that is your thing. And, (I think) no NFA items.

The registration process is easy, although I'm not clear if it's $19 once or $19 per firearm. You just fill out a form, one per firearm: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

That said, you need to make sure all of your equipment is legal. Mags over 10 rounds (including mag extensions) are a likely pain point, as are any ARs you own.

ETA: @hlee is correct, no NFA items either, even if you acquired them legally elsewhere.

Leave your guns at your current residence if at all possible.

I know that nobody I ever knew who got stationed in CA, ever took their otherwise legal firearms with them, and safely stored them in a safe until they were able to get out of that horrible state...that would have been "illegal".

Naamloos-2.jpg

Reactions: Jgunner
Oh, and the Spenceville Firing Range is the closest outdoor range, I believe. Takes you out to about 300 yds, maybe 400 (can't recall), but it's public and well-known, so be prepared for idiots that need safety talks.

I'm in SoCal part time but keep most at our Utah place. Agree with the above - if you can not bring them all it will be easier.

You can bring in handguns not on the "roster" but need to register them quickly. We brought back a Sig Legion that was my wife's that was not legal in California but had to prove residency out of state, etc. (My wife work in Utah for over a year before coming back to SoCal then later moving back for the long term. When she cam back the first time we went through it and it wasn't bad.)

If you have any handguns not on the California roster you want to sell you can bring them in and sell them for about 2x value as California residents cannot purchase them legally (other than some exceptions for LEO / military). 10 round mag limit. ARs might be a flat "no" or heavily modified to comply.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php?title=Moving_to_California_with_firearms

X2 on dad comes to live with me. I don't know what it would take to get me into Cali short of my kids being kidnapped and taken there.

Edit: Notice I didn't say wife.

Reactions: woogie_man
Don’t waste your time with the Spenceville range. Too many dipshits. The Lincoln Rifle club has a 200 yard range or the Sac Valley Shooting Center goes to 1K.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
Don’t waste your time with the Spenceville range. Too many dipshits. The Lincoln Rifle club has a 200 yard range or the Sac Valley Shooting Center goes to 1K.

I shot at Sac Valley once. I had to "qualify" at 100y to shoot at 300y. I put down a very lazy 5 shot group (about 2" or so) with my deer rifle and took the target to the range master. He- 1/2 jokingly- accused me of cheating. I got the impression that they get their share of dipshits too...

I would probably just bring my bolt action rifles and a couple of revolvers, don't want to screw around with AR's or semi auto pistols too much BS. Do bolt action rifles and revolvers have to be registered to enter the state? Also what kind of hoops would I need to jump through to get a CPL or just better off to keep revolvers for home defense.

If you're moving to CA for 2 years, it's probably worth understanding the laws to some level of detail. Advice to leave *all* semi-auto guns behind is, IMHO, excessively risk averse. Invest your own time to read up on the laws, and make an informed decision.

Carry permits are issued at discretion of your local Police Chief or Sheriff. Many Counties are effectively zero issued (unless you are "special"), and other Counties are effectively shall issue. Their policies generally follow the usual urban vs. rural values divide. Also, the permits apply State-wide, go figure.

you can bring your fully semi-automatic weapons, but rifles must be converted to "featureless" and you have to leave any 10+ mags.
if you are bringing some, it probably isn't that much more hassle to bring more...jmo.
check my link above.

Haha, I'm waiting for all the dumbshits that started the shit-show there to move out so I can move back!
I loved cali as a kid!
And yes I have family there
But of course I now exist in Portland Oregon so would be kinda like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
Same o same o!
Wish you luck.
Note: I'm taking care of my dad (91) so I have an excuse. SMH

Seriously, brother, Consider moving Dad the F OUT of CA. Yeah, I know he is attached there, Probably has a home paid for that he hasn't disposed of, or some other stuff, but your family isn't making this any easier on YOU.
California, No matter how beautiful it is east of the Sierra (for example), it is not worth the headache to move there for any reason whatsoever.
Simply moving somewhere to wait for someone to die, really isn't going to work out. If you are the guy who has the ability ("they aren't doing anything, they are retired") to take car of Dad, then the others should take care of cleaning out the house, and disposing of his collection of items, and the real estate.
If he is with it enough to make a decision, there needs to be a Trust formed, so that all questions of who gets what is taken care of in advance. LOTS of headaches created by end of life situations. I've seen screaming matches at the bedside, when the guy hasn't even achieved room temperature, because of this sort of thing.
The people taking care of the person in question also don't get near enough credit for their sacrifices from the rest of the family, only tons of criticism and accusations, and never lift a hand to help.
Leaving your firearms somewhere else and changing your residency presents some iffy questions. Make sure you have power of attorney for both life matters and medical. Amazing how little you can do without that taken care of.
This is only a light sketch, but I have seen far too many people make the wrong decision when an alternative could have made life easer for all concerned. Say out of California, no matter what.

Moving old people is really difficult on them. They tend to deteriorate much faster after a major change in scenery. This dude should be commended for moving to take care of his father. Family is more important than guns.

Haha, I'm waiting for all the dumbshits that started the shit-show there to move out so I can move back!
I loved cali as a kid!
And yes I have family there
But of course I now exist in Portland Oregon so would be kinda like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
Same o same o!
Wish you luck.
Note: I'm taking care of my dad (91) so I have an excuse. SMH
haha, really depends on where you live. plenty of red areas and places that don't look like shitholes.
other than the cost of living, i am not impacted (by homeless, crime or open drug use...).

PS: Orangevale is a seriously piss-poor area of the world. Deep in the heart of Sacramento area, full of thieves, dopers, miscreants and hobos off the rail lines going North/south, and East/west. Heavy traffic, low-lifes, high fuel and other cost of living expenses.

Side note:
I'm not an attorney (Dad was) and am not familiar w/California law.
Look into estate planning asap. My father had a trust setup and moved 99% of his assets into it. (I'm executor). You'll want you or your wife as a co-signer on a bank account. A will will handle things outside of the trust, but those items go into probate, so accounts with Vanguard, Fidelity, his home, etc ought to move into a trust. Living will, power of atty, etc. A little planning now makes the inevitable easier.

Reactions: woogie_man
My wife's father is getting old he's 96 and is at the point he needs help, since we are retired and in the process of selling our home wife and I have been elected by wife's family to move to California (Orangevale) and take care of him until he passes, probably a year or two? will then move back home. My question is what kind of hoops and stupid shit will I have to jump through to bring my firearms (I have quite a few) into the state of California. Also any ranges places to shoot in the area, I know!! Cali is the last place we would ever consider moving and have not committed to this yet, it would help us out with our retirement though yes I'm a poor. Just looking for info and advice on making such a move.
Having done this, be prepared to spend big bucks on hiring help to care for FIL, unless you can do it all yourself, 24/7, because of a CA Law passed in 2014, about $30.00 per hour hiring from an agency to come in and give you a break in the action.

We did this for my Mother but for my MIL moved her to Arizona at 1/4 the cost with family there.

If you pay someone under the table to help you out, be prepared, to be libel for payroll taxes and other costs if caught.

Welcome to the PRC, many other traps than just firearms.

Seems like we need to tell her family just because we're retired does not mean we have nothing better to do than move to someplace neither of us want any part of, for me at least I already knew the answer to this question, stay the fuck away from California. Another question we are planning a trip in August to access the situation, going in our truck camper, since I have no CPL for Cal cant have a loaded handgun in a vehicle, seems like Cal law says I would need to have it in a locked case. When we pull over at night to sleep on the road does the handgun need to still be in a locked case while in the camper and what is considered a locked case? I'm a woodworker and have some really nice wood cases (lockable) for some on my handguns would this meet the locked case requirement?

Seems like we need to tell her family just because we're retired does not mean we have nothing better to do than move to someplace neither of us want any part of, for me at least I already knew the answer to this question, stay the fuck away from California. Another question we are planning a trip in August to access the situation, going in our truck camper, since I have no CPL for Cal cant have a loaded handgun in a vehicle, seems like Cal law says I would need to have it in a locked case. When we pull over at night to sleep on the road does the handgun need to still be in a locked case while in the camper and what is considered a locked case? I'm a woodworker and have some really nice wood cases (lockable) for some on my handguns would this meet the locked case requirement?
My understanding, when I lived there, was that you have to have any gun locked in an inaccessible case while driving and it cannot be a locked glovebox. There was some question about whether it could be loaded at all. But when you are using your camper as your "home" you could have your gun available to you just as if it were in your residence. I'd check with somebody else, though.

Here are a few thoughts:
  1. Join www.calguns.net, lots of good stuff there about guns in California
  2. There are some seriously bad parts of CA (rural and city) if your going anywhere near them proceed with lots of caution
  3. CA firearms law is incredible complex. Find an attorney and work with them and get yourself a written opinion as to what firearms related stuff you own that you can and can't bring into CA. Make sure its a written opinion because if something goes wrong that's your get out of jail card. Don't fuck this up.
  4. Guns also have to be registered when you move here; the attorney will tell you what to do
  5. If you carry a knife look up the knife laws as well
  6. If you reload you are limited on how much powder and how many primers you can own. If this applies to you I can provide more info.
  7. If you are thinking of selling any handguns before you more here look up "private party transfers" on Calguns. You might be able to sell that 5th gen Glock you aren't using anymore for 2-3 times retail if you sell it in CA rather then where you currently live.
  8. On the handgun question - first it better not be loaded. Second if it's not in the trunk it has to be in a locked container. If your parked in the camper for the night I don't know what you have to do. Also, if that handgun is a semi-auto and has a threaded barrel its an "assault weapon" and your looking at serious legal trouble.

Here are a few thoughts:
  2. There are some seriously bad parts of CA (rural and city) if your going anywhere near them proceed with lots of caution
  3. CA firearms law is incredible complex. Find an attorney and work with them and get yourself a written opinion as to what firearms related stuff you own that you can and can't bring into CA. Make sure its a written opinion because if something goes wrong that's your get out of jail card. Don't fuck this up.
  4. Guns also have to be registered when you move here; the attorney will tell you what to do
  6. If you reload you are limited on how much powder and how many primers you can own. If this applies to you I can provide more info.
  7. If you are thinking of selling any handguns before you more here look up "private party transfers" on Calguns. You might be able to sell that 5th gen Glock you aren't using anymore for 2-3 times retail if you sell it in CA rather then where you currently live.
  8. On the handgun question - first it better not be loaded. Second if it's not in the trunk it has to be in a locked container. If your parked in the camper for the night I don't know what you have to do. Also, if that handgun is a semi-auto and has a threaded barrel its an "assault weapon" and your looking at serious legal trouble.
Wait, you guys are limiting how many reloading supplies a guy can have now? What are the limits?

Wait, you guys are limiting how many reloading supplies a guy can have now? What are the limits?
Your limited to 20 total pounds of smokeless powder if it is stored in the original containers and 50 total pounds if those containers are stored in a container that is at least 1 inch thick wood, non-locking. You are also limited to 10K primers. Also, don't store primers in non-original contaienrs.

There are more limits on black powder but I don't remember them offhand.

You can bring in as many off roster handguns as you please. You have to register them with the state within 60 days. Read what I said carefully. Off roster pistols sell for double to triple the price hint hint.

Here are a few thoughts:
If anyone joins Calguns, please be aware the site owner Kes and his ugly scab of a wife (who runs it) are not like Frank. They are a bunch of karens there and you must use proper language there or you will get banned. Hell, I've had several accounts. ;)

Yeah they’re a bunch of cunts that’s for sure. Got banned once because my views don’t line up with his Christian views.

this is really the only forum i visit that allows foul language. believe it or not, i never went to ar-15 sites, so i don't know what they are like.

PM and we'll get him into my Assisted Living facility for a good price so you don't have to move to this stupid state and can keep your guns and use them.

I've lived this dream with CA. 1st, take no guns to CA. The risk/reward is not worth it between the bureaucracy, potential bad acts (theft) and totally dismissive way you will be treated if you have not followed every letter of the law. They are not your friends. 2nd, get FIL out of CA if possible. Use of the medical transport companies to do it right but get him to a place where YOU have max available resources (legal especially, in a friendly environment. Trust, living will, and POAs are absolutely vital to making sure you are protected and empowered. If you absolutely have to go, there are companies in Reno and Carson city that will store your weapons for a price. Only you have the key and they don't check what you lock up. Kinda like a private vault for guns. Did I mention don't take your guns to CA?

Reactions: waveslayer
Alotta misinformation in this thread already.

You can bring in whatever pistols you want, off-roster or not. Doesn't matter. NO threaded barrels (assault weapon).

I'm not clear on AR pistols because it's super nebulous. So I'm not gonna mention anything about those.

AR's, since you legally own them in your state, you can still keep them, but legally need to register them... or you can make the. A mag-lock/break open to reload thing, or make them "featureless".

Mini-14 or M1A type rifles are fine as is in their configuration with regular stocks, no pistol grips, etc.

No cans, no SBR's.

But, on the other side of the same coin:

Who says you own any firearms aside from you? It's nobody's business what property you own anyway.

Leave the non-conpliant shit in the safe. Just sayin. BLM land is away from people. Make sure all your vehicle lights work. Don't have a reason to get pulled and vehicle searched.

Last edited:
Reactions: FWoo45
The registration process is easy, although I'm not clear if it's $19 once or $19 per firearm. You just fill out a form, one per firearm: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

That said, you need to make sure all of your equipment is legal. Mags over 10 rounds (including mag extensions) are a likely pain point, as are any ARs you own.

ETA: @hlee is correct, no NFA items either, even if you acquired them legally elsewhere.
Wrong. Mags over 10 rounds are good to go as long as you legally owned them prior to entering the state.

For the 1 week 30 round Mags we're legally to buy, Californians bought MILLIONS. So mag laws are moot at this point. You're absolutely allowed to have e them in your possession.

Bolt action rifles and pump/break action shotguns should give you no issue. California has an assault weapons ban, so anything semi-auto and center fire is going to not be worth the effort to bring into the state. Cali also has an "approved list" for pistols. Bringing in semi-auto pistols is probably also not worth the hassle. And, maximum 10 round magazines. You won't likely be able to get a CHL if that is your thing. And, (I think) no NFA items.
Wrong. Semi-auto pistols are fine regardless of roster status. Mags greater than 10 rounds are fine.

In the eyes of CA Law, when parked and sleeping, the camper is treated like your home, not a vehicle. Use that as your guide for firearms storage/use.

20 pounds powder unless you have storage meeting certain requirements. Fire Marshal goes by what the container says, doesn't weigh what's actually in there. Unknown on primers.

BUT if you're in a position where they are inspecting your reloading supplies....

You got way bigger fish to fry. JMO

Another thing, its a no no to bring ammo into the state.
This is 100% wrong. Out of state residents aren't limited in bringing ammo in. The limits are on CA residents that can only bring in 50 rounds from out of state to avoid being an "importer of ammunition" into the state. This is to prevent a CA resident from going to NV or AZ, buying 20k rounds, and coming back into the state to avoid the ammo background check.

Again, that's if you somehow enter the state, get stopped and searched and they find ammo.

That there needs to be a thread on this should tell you everything you need to know. Move pop to where you live or tell wifey’s family to pound sand. California really is a fun place to visit, but not I’m sure glad I don’t live there anymore.

If anyone joins Calguns, please be aware the site owner Kes and his ugly scab of a wife (who runs it) are not like Frank. They are a bunch of karens there and you must use proper language there or you will get banned. Hell, I've had several accounts. ;)
No shit. If you even mention anything like "what the government don't know won't hurt them" stuff the Karens will be all over you like white on rice. Super paranoid about everything... which is good in a way because they'll steer you the right direction on what's actually good to go in the state.

...wife and I have been elected by wife's family...

I have a SIL that hasn't spoken to me in nine years over a similar situation. Hoping she can hold out until one of us dies.

Thanks everyone for all the info, guess this just reinforces my initial response of no Fing way I am moving to CA. I knew CA was a cluster but had no idea how much of an absolute cluster it really is, I thought my state WA was bad it's been taking a hard left for the last 20 years or more but nothing like the stupidity in CA. guess I'll have to tell the family to pound sand, no big loss never really cared for most of them anyway. Don't think moving Dad here is an option which is sad I really like him, he was a merchant marine and sailed for almost 70 years, has been everywhere in the world you can think of and then some, can talk to him for hours about his travels. With all of the firearm regulations and probably a little off topic but I was looking into vehicle registration in CA seems like it would take an act of god to get our vehicles to meet CA emission standards. Anyway thanks to everyone for all the great info I appreciate it.

Reactions: slowworm
Seriously don’t move here unless you like getting taxed on literally everything.

This is 100% wrong. Out of state residents aren't limited in bringing ammo in. The limits are on CA residents that can only bring in 50 rounds from out of state to avoid being an "importer of ammunition" into the state. This is to prevent a CA resident from going to NV or AZ, buying 20k rounds, and coming back into the state to avoid the ammo background check.

Again, that's if you somehow enter the state, get stopped and searched and they find ammo.

OP mentioned moving here for several years with his firearms. He'd bring bolt guns and revolvers.

Did not mention his primary residence remaining out of state, and that he wishes to remain able to shoot.

Its possible he reloads, and can import components but if he's taking up residency there are restrictions.

Not something I'd call 100% false.