• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question for lefty AR shooters.

hangunnr

Team Shutupnshoot
Minuteman
May 7, 2002
Flatlandia
Do you shoot right handed or left handed guns? I've a left handed friend that wants to get a AR and was wondering if it was just a preference thing or if there were advantages. He won't use it for anything but informal target shooting. For the lefties shooting right handed guns..... Does it bother you having the brass cross in front of your face?

hangunnr

Re: Question for lefty AR shooters.

I'm a lefty with a RH DPMS LR308. It doesn't really bother me. I mainly do target shooting with my rig. I don't really notice the brass flying out since I try to keep my eye through the scope to see my shot. Although an ambidextrious charging handle would be nice. I kind of got used to keeping my left hand on the grip and trigger and the right hand for the controls(safety, mag release, charging handle, turrets and bolt catch)

I shoot my AK with irons and I don't pay attention to the brass neither. I may have a different opinion if I shot a lefty AR. I got used to it. I also shoot with one eye open. Others may feel otherwise.

It used to bother me on the old M16 before the brass deflector bump was added, no problems once it was doing it's job. The safety is the only part to get ambidextrous, otherwise all the buttons are easy to operate.

like said on both posts above, the bump helps, and you can easily get an ambi saftey.

the only time it sucks is when you try one of those "movie hip shots" while rapid firing. a long sleeve shirt is a must when doing that.

No problems for me. A Norgon ambi-catch and ambi selector are all I add.

Thanks for the input. Tha ambi safety is a good suggestion.

hangunnr

I shoot rifle lefty and the only problem I have is with my Oly 10mm upper which aggressively throws brass in my face. Everything else I have, including .458 socom and LR-308 are just fine for me to shoot left handed.

The only rifle I own that is left handed is a Ferret50 .50bmg.

I prefer the right handed guns shooting as a lefty, I usually put a ambi safety on all my gas guns and it works out well.

Check out Stag Arms, they offer a LH version in 5.56, don't know about .308 tho.

+1 for stag arms. the owner is a lefty and knows how to take care of your guys.

I used to run my old right-handed AR like an AK. Out of ammo, just take your right hand, yank that mag out, then load a new one. Re-grip forearm then use left hand to smack bolt release. Really didn't take me much longer to load than I do now with my lefty AR. Ambi-catch is a nice design but definitely needs WAY more surface area. I'd strongly recommend getting a KAC sr-15 ambi lower. Much better design than POF/Magpul. Strange seeing me type that too, not a big fan of KAC but in this case, yes.