• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question for LRI

81STFACP

DRB 1234, P100, HM - XC, LR
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2006
Austin, TX
Chad,

We just learned that BAT Machine will cease manufacture of their AR15 and LR308 barrel extensions, is this business something that might have a good margin putting your CNC capacity and capability to work?

They still have extensions in the inventory, but looks like when these are gone, that's it.

Quality is why most people who try to build uppers use the BAT extensions.

Thoughts?

I have a half dozen of em sitting in a box somewhere around here. I cannot recall the last time I ever used one. -That said I don't do a great deal of "black gun" work so take that with a grain of salt.

Making them wouldn't be a big issue for us. The question becomes getting rid of them once they are made. Jobs like this have almost no margin in them because anyone/everyone already makes this stuff. BAT probably stopped for that very reason.

So the real question should be:

When they become unobtanium can LRI make them for a profit?

May not be a bad idea to grab one and get a solid cad/cam file made up and stored away while they are available. This is the #1 problem I see with replicating parts from out of business companies. Duplicates can't be made without locating the part for measurement in the first place.

May not be a bad idea to grab one and get a solid cad/cam file made up and stored away while they are available. This is the #1 problem I see with replicating parts from out of business companies. Duplicates can't be made without locating the part for measurement in the first place.
Like I said, I have a half dozen of them in a box from years ago.

The truth is, I don't really have the right machine. To do this "right" it's a turning center with live tooling and multi axis and twin spindles/turrets.

I don't have one of those yet.

Making them wouldn't be a big issue for us. The question becomes getting rid of them once they are made.

I really wish someone had presented this concept to me in such clear and concise language, oh, about 25 years ago.

Reactions: gnochi

When you find that Ouija board, lemme know. I want to buy one. :)

When you find that Ouija board, lemme know. I want to buy one. :)

That's the nice thing, is a cad file doesn't take up any space on the shop shelves.

Measure one now, file is stored on HDD, in 25 years someone will find out you have the ability and order 25 of them, you just tell them the minimum is 500 and profit!