• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Question for machinists and such

doc76251

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2003
Virginia Beach, VA
Which thread count is preferred for screwing in a machine screw to standard (soft) Home Depot Aluminum? Are finer threads preferred or are courser threads? I am attaching an aluminum bedding block to a steel .22 LR receiver. There will be no threads in the steel, the steel screw head will be inset into the steel.

I really just need to know which has better holding power in softer metals, coarse or fine?

Cheers,

Doc

Re: Question for machinists and such

Put a little thread locker(Loc-Tite Blue)on it if you can't heli-coil it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doc,
Go coarse. I know Doc........If you think he is going to install a helicoil you are mistaken. That would require setting his beer at ease way too long. </div></div>

and coarser threads take less time to screw in..a win-win ha

Doc,

Great suggestions above to use a heli-coil, especially if the screws are going to be frequently removed.

If no helicoil, then coarse-pitch screws are what you need to use. Coarse threads have a larger threadform relative to screw diameter which is critical in soft materials (i.e. compare a 10-24 to a 10-32). Caution when tapping the aluminum - galling can easily occur. Use a new (not dull) tap with lots of cutting fluid. Use compressed air and fluid to flush the cuttings out of the bore of the cut.

Kevin

Doc,

All I can find at the moment is refering to mild steel. The book says to increase the max torque rating for a standard fine thread by 9% over standard course threads. When tapping aluminum remember to use some kind of lubricant like Tap Magic. Kerosene works really well in a pinch. Remember to use anti sieze compound on the bolt threads. (I still favor heli-coil in aluminum if at all possible. But I have a boat load of tools for doing it.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doc,
Go coarse. I know Doc........If you think he is going to install a helicoil you are mistaken. That would require setting his beer at ease way too long. </div></div>

Truer words have yet to be spoken
grin.gif

Thanks for all the input guys I just couldn't remember if it was coarser for softer metals or finer and figured I'd ask. This will be a fun little project I am doing if I can ever get time to get near a mill to pare down a 1" cube of aluminum I haven't gotten my hands on yet. Ahhh delays, delays, delays ......

Cheers,

Doc

Don't skimp on screw length- Use the longest screws possible- unless you install Heli-Coils... Then the best you can do is install screws that are the depth of the insert.